Advertisement

Return to Index  

Reference Toadman's Tank Pictures CD #09, Sturmgeschütz III Ausf.G

May 31 2006 at 6:06 PM
Frank V. De Sisto  (Login zappa93)
MODERATORS ONLY - Time on Target
from IP address 162.84.170.184

TOADMAN’S TANK PICTURES

CD #09, Sturmgeschütz III Ausf.G. Contains 278 color photographs on a single CD. Price: $7.95 USD, plus shipping.

I am an extreme fan of the German Sturmgeschütz III; I simply love ’em in all of their various permutations. I can never get enough of kits and references for this beast. So, when I recently realized that Toadman had a photo CD devoted to the subject, I simply had to have it.

The CD will open automatically when loaded into most PCs, or it can be accessed by going to “My Computer”. It begins with a Main Table of Contents, which is followed by an Introduction. Then it’s on to the five sections:

• Superstructure Exterior.
• Hull Exterior.
• Schürzen.
• Suspension.
• Interior.

The particular vehicle described came from Finland and has been restored to the original German configuration. It is a relatively early type of Ausf.G, probably from the batch produced after the initial Ausf.Gs of December 1942. It features the fighting compartment vent fan and cover on the rear of the casemate wall (the initial version had it on the roof), but it retains the small MP-Stopfen (pistol port with armored plug) on the port side of the driver’s compartment; this is what denotes a very early post-1942 vehicle.

The vehicle also shows some other detail features that are not often seen, which will certainly help the modeler with the next project. I also appreciated the photos of the interior, since, for instance the Tamiya kit has a separate roof panel and simply cries out for an added interior. Details of how the Schürzen are hung will also prove to be useful, but the modeler is cautioned that the type depicted is one style; there were others, so if a specific assault gun is being built, supplemental references will be a “must”.

The photos are, in general, properly exposed and crisp. They depict many, many useful details and will answer lots of questions. The captions are rather brief, but I do like the fact that Toadman correctly calls the upper parts of this AFV (as well as others in his series) a SUPERSTRUCTURE, not the “upper hull”. The CD is professionally-labeled and is properly packed for shipping, which is a good thing considering the way some mail gets tossed about!

Yet again, we are treated to a high-quality, low-cost product from a fellow modeler, aimed at helping us create a better scale replica. What’s not to like?

Highly recommended.

Frank V. De Sisto

For ordering information and more photos visit the web site at:
www.toadmanstankpictures.com

Delete byteme from email.

Respond to this message   

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse