Advertisement

Return to Index  

Accessory, Lion Roar LE35064, Sd.Kfz.265 kl.Bef.Pz.I Ausf.B

July 16 2006 at 1:03 PM
  (Login zappa93)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 162.84.171.109

LION ROAR

LE35064, Sd.Kfz.265 kl.Bef.Pz.I Ausf.B. 1/35th-scale photo-etched brass detail set for DML kit. Price: $11.95 USD.

There is photographic evidence showing at least one kl.Bef.Pz.Wg. (Sd.Kfz.265) with a Rahmenantenne (frame antenna) on the Ostfront. This is an option in the DML kit for which this detail set is designed. But rather that be content with having the modeler use the styrene version provided in the kit, Lion Roar have included an alternative pre-soldered and pre-formed Rahmenantenne. All the modeler has to do is carefully bend the assembled item fore and aft to put the kinks in it (note that the instructions neglect this point; use the styrene part as a guide and proceed).

Other items provided in this set are given on five etched brass frets; unlike other sets from this manufacturer, styrene or brass rod is not provided, although its use is called out in a few places. The Instructions are clearly-drawn and are composed of three pages.

The main parts are complete replacement fenders, as well as front and rear mud-flaps. The main fenders are composed of inner and outer framework/edges, to which the non-skid portion is then attached. A dedicated bending tool is a necessity in this case, because the bends are to be made lengthwise on narrow parts that are about four-inches long. A fair amount of detail parts are then to be fixed to the fenders including horn, head- and tail-lamp mounts, tool and OVM clamps and racks, mud-flap hinges and rod antenna storage trough. There are also separate etched bolt heads to be added in various places, although I would replace them with suitably sliced styrene hex rod, since I don’t relish the prospect of cleaning the fret attachment points off of these tiny little buggers.

The hull rear receives a new bolted attachment flange for where it connects to the superstructure, new tow hitch, details for the Nebelkerzenabwurfvorrichtung (rack to deploy smoke candles), hooks and chains. The engine deck receives new grill work and screening, while a new grill is provided for the rear of the superstructure.

The superstructure itself receives new detail parts for the various hatch lids, rain gutter and internal view-port flap details. There are etched brass parts to be fixed to the Rahmenantenne where it connects to its support rods. The final item of note is an all-new girder for the suspension system.

The price of this set is simply incredible, especially when one considers what is in the package. This is reason enough to get hold of a set; add the pre-assembled Rahmenantenne and…well, what are you waiting for?

Highly recommended.

Frank V. De Sisto

Reviewer’s note: Since May of 2005, I have been working on books for Concord Publications, a sister company to DML and Dragon USA. The reader may wish to take this into consideration. For my part, I will attempt to maintain an objective viewpoint when writing these reviews.

Lion Roar products are available from retail and mail order shops. In North America, they can also be purchased from Dragon USA at: www.dragonusaonline.com.

Delete byteme from email

Respond to this message   

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse