Return to Index  

Connies Pt.3

February 1 2010 at 2:02 PM

Ted Preston  (Login TeddieP)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address

Work on the Four Connies continues, albeit at a slow pace. The Minicraft Connies have been primed, but I'm leaving the Revell (white) kit unprimed so as not to obscure the delicate recessed panel lines. Now that's looking like a production line!:
[linked image]
[linked image]
On to the wingtip fuel tanks. The Revell kit's tanks are a nice fit and it'll be easier to place the decals on them if they're painted and installed separately:
[linked image]
Not so with the Minicraft tip tanks. They require a lot of opening up just to get on the wing, and then they need filler, so they'll have to be decalled after they're on the birds:
[linked image]
Moving on to the landing gear, The Revell kit items are sturdy, and require almost no cleanup. Some photo-etched bits from the ExtraTech detail set were added to the mains, and all units were tacked in place with wheels on to check fit - I don't want any nasty fit problems at final assembly:
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
The Minicraft landing gears need VERY careful handling. The plastic is soft, and the gears are marred with prominent mold lines. I'd recommend removing the mold lines from the oleo areas only, and leaving it at that. Sanding or scraping away all of the mold lines leaves the gears dangerously thin and weak and there won't be much left on the sruts to hang the wheels on:
[linked image]
On two of the Minicraft kits, the front gear supporting struts were incompletely molded, so I had to scratchbuild replacements:
[linked image]
Dry-fitting gears and wheels on three Connies is tedious as hell, but the payoff is a bird that sits right:
[linked image]
A problem ensued when I got to the wheels in the last Minicraft Connie on the production line. Three of the four main wheels were missing off the sprue. A lengthy search of floor, workbench, boxes and bagged parts revealed nothing - they had vanished. Luckily, I found a set of old Rosepart wheel castings which after cleanup were a near-perfect match. Whew!:
[linked image]
Next step is to tackle the props. They are going to be a handful!

WIP Build:
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2

Previous WIP Builds:
Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Respond to this message   

To post an image of your models, you will first need to find somewhere to host your photos on the Internet. Your ISP will often give you a limited amount of free web storage, and other online photo storage is also available.

To post a link or an image, simply type in the URL (web address) of the destination page or image. The URL will appear as a link (for an HTML link) or an image (if you link direct to a .jpg file) when posted. You can use the Preview facility to see how your message looks before posting to Plastic Pix.

Please try to keep image sizes to 800 pixels wide or less, as larger sizes will be too big to fit on many computer screens. Also, file sizes should be kept to around 100kb or less, otherwise download may be very slow.

For Scale Aircraft Modelling questions or discussion, please visit the Plane Talking Discussion Group.

Please note a few points of etiquette. All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments. These posts will promptly be removed from the server and repeat offenders will have their registration cancelled.

free counters