Return to Index  

Something Fishy, The Big Fish

March 24 2010 at 1:27 PM

Swanny  (Login SwannysModels)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 75.13.63.14

This is not an original idea but was prompted by a conversion I saw here some time ago. I began with two kits -- these two kits
[linked image]
[linked image]
I used the forward 2/3 of the YaK fuselage with the aft 1/3 of the Rufe fuselage. The wings and floats came from the Rufe.
[linked image]
The main float center column was shortened to accommodate the jet engine. The outrigger floats had their struts beefed up to handle higher landing speeds. The nose cannons are actually brass barrels left over from a 1/350 ship build. I have about $30 tied up in the aircraft model. The base has about $60 tied up in materials - isn't that normal with any oddball build?
[linked image]
The water is Easy Cast clear casting resin done in three pours with lots of color in the first, some color in the second and no color in the third. Art moss provided a lot of the greenery including the floating seaweed pads. Model RR ballast was used for the sand which is done over a base of Styrofoam and Cellu-Clay.
[linked image]
The fish are actually charm bracelet pieces with the attachment rings removed then painted. The waves were created by working the resin with a butter knife about six hours into the cure process.
[linked image]
The aircraft finish is Alclad Aluminum with salt chipping followed by White Ensign Japanese paints. I did some experimenting with dot filtration in the weathering but that did not work out too well for me. I think I need more practice on that stuff.
[linked image]
This is my first attempt at water but certainly not my last. Hope you like it.
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Responses

To post an image of your models, you will first need to find somewhere to host your photos on the Internet. Your ISP will often give you a limited amount of free web storage, and other online photo storage is also available.

To post a link or an image, simply type in the URL (web address) of the destination page or image. The URL will appear as a link (for an HTML link) or an image (if you link direct to a .jpg file) when posted. You can use the Preview facility to see how your message looks before posting to Plastic Pix.

Please try to keep image sizes to 800 pixels wide or less, as larger sizes will be too big to fit on many computer screens. Also, file sizes should be kept to around 100kb or less, otherwise download may be very slow.

For Scale Aircraft Modelling questions or discussion, please visit the Plane Talking Discussion Group.

Please note a few points of etiquette. All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments. These posts will promptly be removed from the server and repeat offenders will have their registration cancelled.

free counters