Return to Index  

Revell 1/32 Ju-87B Stuka

April 15 2012 at 9:46 PM
Tory  (Login ToryMucaro)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 72.68.101.90

I've had this kit in my collection for at least 15, possibly closer to 20 years. It was something I had built in my youth, maybe when I was 12-13 years old. I've always wanted to have another crack at it and when I found one in a NYC hobby shop (back when there were NYC hobby shops!) I bought it on the spot. It was part of an estate sale, can't remember what I paid for it but it couldn't have been very much, maybe $20.

These old Revell 1/32 kits were known for operating features and removable engine panels with fairly detailed engines. I decided to build this one straight out of the box, leaving all the operating features. The canopies slide, propeller turns and engine cowlings come off to show the decently detailed Jumo engine. This particular aircraft has been debated for years, was the snake actually red or desert sand colored, was it painted on both sides, what colors were used in the camouflage, etc. Since little is known with any certainty, I decided to just try to capture the box art instead of going for historical accuracy. I built it straight out of the box, as defined by IPMS rules, the only thing that didn't come in the box was the paint, glue and antennae wire. Even the 40+ year old kit decals were used, along with a gallon of Solveset to get them to conform to all those rivets!

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

I finished it up last Friday, the day before the Mosquitocon show held annually in Wayne NJ. It placed 3rd in a very highly competitive 1/32 Aircraft category (which included biplanes, prop and jets). I am very proud of the fact that I was able to build a competitive model from a 40+ year old kit, going up against several modern click together wonders from Hasegawa and Tamiya.

Now to figure out where to display this 17 inch wingspan memory!

Tory

Respond to this message   
Responses

To post an image of your models, you will first need to find somewhere to host your photos on the Internet. Your ISP will often give you a limited amount of free web storage, and other online photo storage is also available.

To post a link or an image, simply type in the URL (web address) of the destination page or image. The URL will appear as a link (for an HTML link) or an image (if you link direct to a .jpg file) when posted. You can use the Preview facility to see how your message looks before posting to Plastic Pix.

Please try to keep image sizes to 800 pixels wide or less, as larger sizes will be too big to fit on many computer screens. Also, file sizes should be kept to around 100kb or less, otherwise download may be very slow.

For Scale Aircraft Modelling questions or discussion, please visit the Plane Talking Discussion Group.

Please note a few points of etiquette. All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments. These posts will promptly be removed from the server and repeat offenders will have their registration cancelled.

free counters