Return to Index  

WIP 1/32 Spitfire Mk.22, Revell (ex-Matchbox)

June 19 2012 at 6:19 PM
Mike Williams  (Login mikeewmodels)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 2.24.204.156

I had a new shower installed a couple of weeks ago and was chatting the builder (he is married to one of my work colleagues) whilst he was doing the tiling and got onto the subject of my hobby as he had seen my work in the display cabinet in my lounge. He went into raptures about how he loved Spitfires as a kid at airshows and said he had always wanted a Spitfire model in his office/study at home.
He did a fantastic job of the shower room and for a "mates rates" price so I thought I would drag this out of the stash and build it for his office as a thanks.
I am gonna build it with wing gun bays closed and cowling on and straight-outta-the-box. I may even put the pilot in if I can make a decent paint job of him. Just been assembling bits and pieces this evening and had some black in the airbrush for another model I am working on so gave the engine a base coat as the only parts to be seen will be the exhausts.

[img][linked image][/img]

As none of it will be seen and most will just hinder the fuselage assembly I left out all the gubbins behind the firewall, I will just add the IP/control column and seat frame with its bulkhead. The seatbelts are my approximation of the sutton harness made from painted masking tape and all sealed in with Xtracolor Flat.
The pilot is a bit rubbish so he has taken up residence in the waste bin.

The wings and spars all fitted pretty good, the underside seams may need some putty but that will be dealt with later once the fuselage and wings are together. The gun bays covers needed a smear of Vallejo putty to lessen the panel lines.

These next photos are brought to you in association with Zap-a-gap, Johnsons Talc and Zipkicker, also featuring ACME Elbow Grease.
But it is being whipped into shape.

Continuing with battering this beast into submission, as anyone who has built this kit will attest to, the cowl panels put up a fight but were no match for CA/Talc and Zipkicker .
It all needs polishing out but the bulk of clean up is done here.

Onto the painting stages, hurrah!

I did a pre-shade whilst I had black in the airbrush to paint the prop blades and insides of the radiators, also the windscreen got a blast. You might be able to make out the plasticard and filler awaiting sanding down where the front of the windscreen meets the fuselage.

Using Tamiya's RAF Colours I sprayed the undersides with Medium Sea Grey and added some lighter post shading before blending with a heavily thinned base colour again.

Its difficult to see in the photos, then again I was aiming for subtlety.

Then masked it off and did the same with Ocean Grey. I will let this dry out before masking up for the Dark Green.

Camouflage and Klear'd this evening.
Just need to mask up and spray the Sky fuselage band and I can get some decals on her.

Masked up with White tack and tape

Sprayed the Dark Green

Unmask and spray Klear generously

I managed to get the decals on whilst watching the football this evening. They are still drying off here.
No.613 (City of Manchester)sqn., Royal Auxiliary Air Force, Ringway, 1943

Respond to this message   
Responses

To post an image of your models, you will first need to find somewhere to host your photos on the Internet. Your ISP will often give you a limited amount of free web storage, and other online photo storage is also available.

To post a link or an image, simply type in the URL (web address) of the destination page or image. The URL will appear as a link (for an HTML link) or an image (if you link direct to a .jpg file) when posted. You can use the Preview facility to see how your message looks before posting to Plastic Pix.

Please try to keep image sizes to 800 pixels wide or less, as larger sizes will be too big to fit on many computer screens. Also, file sizes should be kept to around 100kb or less, otherwise download may be very slow.

For Scale Aircraft Modelling questions or discussion, please visit the Plane Talking Discussion Group.

Please note a few points of etiquette. All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments. These posts will promptly be removed from the server and repeat offenders will have their registration cancelled.

free counters