<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

My kid's first complete build

August 25 2008 at 10:51 PM
JP  (Login YuriDolgoruki)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 75.52.171.45

Also titled "How to Sneak Military History into a Modern Public School"

My son had a summer reading project due. He had to read at least three age-appropriate books (7th grade) and then complete a project having something to do with one of the books. He had already read some fruity animal fiction nonsense from the kid's section at the library and was fishing around for the third book and a project. SO . . . we check out this list of approved projects, and lo and behold there it is - build a model.

Down to the library we go to get a 7th grade level book on Pearl Harbor, knowing that I have at least two of the old Tamiya 1/48 A6M2 Zero kits in the stash. $7 a pop on discount from Hobby Lobby, small, simple to get together, and a single color camo scheme. Doesn't get any better than that. Here's the plan:

1. Read the book. Ask any questions, go over any details.
2. Talk about the equipment used. We already play a lot of Navy Field, so the kid knows about every surface vessel used, to include the Japanese CVs.
3. What do you know? The Tamiya Zero features decals for a plane that flew from the Akagi into the Pearl Harbor raid.
4. I'll build mine, he watches and builds his identical kit.

Now, he had some advantages over me when I was 12. I did not have an airbrush, compressor, 300 kit stash, every construction and painting supply I could think up, OR someone with 35 years building experience that would sit and show me how to do this stuff.

Anyway, here it is (I hope it shows). The only thing I ended up having to lay hands on the model for was to help him cut the tape on the canopy glass. Other than that, it's all 12 year old. Oh, and this is a clean build because the project was due. Weathering class begins if it makes it back home in one piece. At some point this week, the kids in his class are going to get to hear about Japanese Air Fleet one (Kido Butai), the Akagi, the A6M2 Zero, and the attack on Pearl Harbor. Take that, educrats!! >)

Oh, one last thing. No offense, but I don't really care whether this is the 100% right color for the Zero. I'm not gonna get into that debate, and that was not the point for this build. The last thing I read said to use Floquil's "old concrete", that's what I had, and so that's what we used.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Thomas Lund
(Login Thomas_Lund)
HyperScale Forums

EXCELLENT

August 26 2008, 12:01 AM 

First model - wow - I would be happy to make something as nice as that.

Thomas

Respond to this message   

John Krukowski
(Login tubeglue)
HyperScale Forums

Looks better than my last...

August 26 2008, 1:00 AM 

Really nice work!

Seriously...

John

Respond to this message   

william di filippo
(Login willy74)
HyperScale Forums

very nice job!!

August 26 2008, 1:58 AM 

Respond to this message   

Geoffrey Abreu
(Select Login caabreu)
HyperScale Forums

Great job....

August 26 2008, 3:15 AM 

I sure wish I could have done that well when I was 12. I am sure it will be the best project in the class!

Geoff

This message has been edited by caabreu from IP address 64.175.36.137 on Aug 26, 2008 3:22 AM

Respond to this message   

Lynn
(Login lmritger)
HyperScale Forums

I remember building a Monogram Zero back in 1978, when I was 11...

August 26 2008, 6:13 AM 

I used a light grey from Pactra and distinctly remember hand-painting two wide blue stripes on the fuselage and the red stripes on the tail. Yeah, I really liked that model... but your son's Zeke looks so much better than mine did at that age, it's not even remotely funny. That's an absolutely fantastic effort, and he should be rightfully proud of his work.

And you've earned a kudo or two as well there, Pops.

Well done, both of ya.

Lynn

Respond to this message   

Matt Collins
(Login MattP38)
HyperScale Forums

Re: I remember building a Monogram Zero back in 1978, when I was 11...

August 26 2008, 10:50 AM 

I was born back then! Didn't the C-47 from R/M come out then, too?

It's good to have a friend here at my shoulder with a little time to spend, til I find love again -F. C. Collins W. C. Bickhardt

Respond to this message   
jon g.
(Login docdad)
HyperScale Forums

Great Job!!!!!

August 26 2008, 8:01 AM 

most of mine dont look that good!.....jg

Respond to this message   

Scott Bricker
(Login orcada)
HyperScale Forums

Wow that is nice

August 26 2008, 8:39 AM 

Congrats to both you and your son. His finished model blows away any that I build at his age. Nice job!

I will never forget when I had a similar project on the Battle of Britain and my father pulled every book he had on the battle out of his library. He had taught me how to draw airplanes and I attempted to paint a Spitfire intercepting three He-111 off in the distance, one of my first paintings. That school project is one I look back on and cherish. Hopefully now he has a better appreciate for our fine hobby, yearning for history and some good memories with his father as well.

Scott

Respond to this message   

J.Healy
(Login J.Healy)
HyperScale Forums

Very good modeling! I'll take the $7 Zero over the $60 Zero thank you!

August 26 2008, 9:03 AM 

nt

Respond to this message   
Phil Marchese
(Login philmarchese)
HyperScale Forums

very, very, good build ...

August 26 2008, 9:14 AM 

evidently the bonding went beyond the plastic, dad. best of luck to your son on the presentation. super decal job.

Respond to this message   
JP
(Login YuriDolgoruki)
HyperScale Forums

You're right

August 26 2008, 2:26 PM 

I was worried about him getting that fuselage stripe on right. Sometimes I struggle to get those lined up just right myself. I looked away momentarily to throw the backing paper in the trash, and by the time I looked up he was smiling at me and waiting for the next decal out of the water. I checked it, and sure as heck, he nailed it just right.

This message has been edited by YuriDolgoruki from IP address 75.52.171.45 on Aug 26, 2008 4:02 PM

Respond to this message   

gary kent
(Login choppyloop)
HyperScale Forums

following in fathers footsteps

August 26 2008, 10:10 AM 

he has talent and a good guide, i'me sure it won't be his last

nicely done

regards gk

Respond to this message   
Gerald Goff
(Login GeraldGoff)
HyperScale Forums

that looks better than anything Ive ever done.Beautiful!

August 26 2008, 12:44 PM 

I see some preshading there.

Gerald

When in evil company,try to blend in.-Wild Bill Donovan

Respond to this message   
Grant Goodale
(Login GrantGoodale)
HyperScale Forums

Very nice nt

August 26 2008, 1:52 PM 

- Grant
IPMS Toronto

Respond to this message   

Dave Orloff
(Login d_orloff)
HyperScale Forums

Looks great!

August 26 2008, 2:02 PM 

Great to have the tools available at an early age... can't wait to see his next!

Respond to this message   

Craig in Daytona
(Login craigindaytona)
HyperScale Forums

Twelve....? Ya really know how to hit someone where it hurts, doncha ?

August 26 2008, 4:46 PM 

I couldn't do that well at twice that age...come ta think of it, I ain't all that much better now.

Respond to this message   

John Doerr
(Login JohnDoerr)
HyperScale Forums

Better than us old geezers

August 26 2008, 8:25 PM 

Terll your son that it is a great job

Cheers,
John

Send lawyers, guns and money,
Warren Zevon

Respond to this message   
mudmonkey
(Login mudmonkey)
HyperScale Forums

first build

August 26 2008, 10:08 PM 

excellent!!

Respond to this message   

Brandon
(Login Bravosierra001)
HyperScale Forums

WOW!!! That looks great!!!!

August 26 2008, 10:52 PM 

Excellent looking project! That is one nice looking Zero. Alot beeter than mine. I never finished mine!

Brandon

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

To post an image of your models, you will first need to find somewhere to host your photos on the Internet. Your ISP will often give you a limited amount of free web storage, and other online photo storage is also available.

To post a link or an image, simply type in the URL (web address) of the destination page or image. The URL will appear as a link (for an HTML link) or an image (if you link direct to a .jpg file) when posted. You can use the Preview facility to see how your message looks before posting to Plastic Pix.

Please try to keep image sizes to 800 pixels wide or less, as larger sizes will be too big to fit on many computer screens. Also, file sizes should be kept to around 100kb or less, otherwise download may be very slow.

For Scale Aircraft Modelling questions or discussion, please visit the Plane Talking Discussion Group.

Please note a few points of etiquette. All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments. These posts will promptly be removed from the server and repeat offenders will have their registration cancelled.

free counters