<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Hasegawa 1/48 Kittyhawk Mk IV Sqn Ldr John Waddy RAAF

May 28 2012 at 10:57 PM
  (Login Kahunaminor)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 58.165.217.0

Hello all,

I present my latest off the bench. This build had a bit of a hiatus due to a decal problem and the 190STGB. I had a problem with the decals not adhering properly. It was the first time I had used Red Roo decals so I fired an email off to them and explained the situation. Not only did Gary Byk of Red Roo supply a replacement set, he gave me sufficient sets to conduct some experimentation to remedy the problem and even offered some salient advice. That is GREAT service in my book.

Anyway I digress. The kit is the Hasegawa P40-N kit. I used Red Roo decals, remnants of the Eduard P40-N PE set, Ultracast exhausts and wheels, MM enamels (faded OD, Neutral Grey, Insignia White) and some lead wire for the brake lines. Finished with a Future clear coat and Dullcote out of a spraycan. Tamiya weathering sets, Flory dark wash and Ezyline for the antenna.
Photos show that this a/c was particularly weathered on the white ID strips on the wings and I tried to represent that by going a little ballistic with the silver pencil on the leading edges.

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Some valuable lessons re learned like always let the Future cure properly (an hour IS NOT enough) before adding the Flory wash and small a clear plastic part can launch itself 10 metres! All in all a bit of a labour to get it off the bench and probably not my best but it looks good in the cabinet. Thanks for looking and please comment if you see fit.

Regards,

Kent in Oz

This message has been edited by Kahunaminor from IP address 58.165.217.0 on May 29, 2012 5:17 AM
This message has been edited by Kahunaminor from IP address 58.165.217.0 on May 29, 2012 12:08 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Steve.
(Login luevane1976)
HyperScale Forums

That's a nice p-40!

May 28 2012, 11:45 PM 

Respond to this message   

(Login creece)
HyperScale Forums

RAAF with german kills?? Never heard that story before

May 29 2012, 2:57 AM 

Respond to this message   

(Login Kahunaminor)
HyperScale Forums

Waddy flew in Libya in 1942

May 29 2012, 3:26 AM 

with 112 and 250 Squadrons RAF and obtained his kills there before transferring to 80 squadron RAAF in the PTO. From recollection he didn't actually get a kill after Libya.

A distinct lack of Japanese in Libya in 1942 but apparently oodles of Germans!

Regards

Kent in Oz

Respond to this message   

(Login creece)
HyperScale Forums

Ok makes sense ,I was thinking maybe Battle of Brit. flying Spitfires

May 29 2012, 3:33 AM 

Respond to this message   
Dal
(Login DallasGavan)
HyperScale Forums

There's lots of them.

May 29 2012, 3:41 AM 

G'day, Corey.

A lot of RAAF pilots scored German kills when flying in the MTO and ETO. As well as the Article XV squadrons flying with the RAF and individual RAAF pilots posted to RAF squadrons, there were also two Permanent Air Force (ie "Regular RAAF") squadrons, 3 (fighters- flew Hurricans, Kittyhawks and Mustangs among other types- served in the desert and then Italy) and 10 (Sunderlands in the UK) that stayed in the MTO and ETO from 1939 until 1945.

Some Australians had German, Japanese and Italian kills marked on their same aircraft (Caldwell's probably the best known), usually because they served in the MTO/ETO before being brought back and fighting in the Pacific. Bobby Gibbes, for example, had Italian, German and a Vichy French (French roundel defaced with a swastika) kill on his SWPA Spitfire.

Cheers.

Dal.

Respond to this message   

(Login DallasGavan)
HyperScale Forums

PS- nice build

May 29 2012, 4:05 AM 

G'day, Kent.

I hope my build (SVoG) turns out as well.

Dal

Respond to this message   

(Login jonbius)
HyperScale Forums

Wonderful build!

May 29 2012, 5:27 AM 

You did an excellent job on the kit. Very nice looking result.

Jon Bius
www.agapemodels.com
Modeling with a Higher Purpose

Respond to this message   

(Login russ12)
HyperScale Forums

very nice job on that !

May 29 2012, 7:40 AM 

Respond to this message   

(Login vet666)
HyperScale Forums

Excellent job, love the weathering. n/t

May 29 2012, 3:31 PM 

Respond to this message   

(Login erreipmod)
HyperScale Forums

Beautiful P-40

May 29 2012, 5:56 PM 

Very well done, very nice paint and weathering. happy.gif

Serge Dompierre

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Hasegawa 1/48 Kittyhawk Mk IV Sqn Ldr John Waddy RAAF
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

To post an image of your models, you will first need to find somewhere to host your photos on the Internet. Your ISP will often give you a limited amount of free web storage, and other online photo storage is also available.

To post a link or an image, simply type in the URL (web address) of the destination page or image. The URL will appear as a link (for an HTML link) or an image (if you link direct to a .jpg file) when posted. You can use the Preview facility to see how your message looks before posting to Plastic Pix.

Please try to keep image sizes to 800 pixels wide or less, as larger sizes will be too big to fit on many computer screens. Also, file sizes should be kept to around 100kb or less, otherwise download may be very slow.

For Scale Aircraft Modelling questions or discussion, please visit the Plane Talking Discussion Group.

Please note a few points of etiquette. All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments. These posts will promptly be removed from the server and repeat offenders will have their registration cancelled.

free counters