If you have a bill of sale, you might try to contact whoever handled the funereal arrange

by C.W. (Login C-UU)

-ments to learn if they could provide you with a notarized copy of the death certificate or point you in the direction of someone who could. Once you locate that individual then you will likely have to prove need as those certificates are only supposed to be used by the executor and family to satisfy the various bureaucracies that have an interest in the matter. Those documents might be all that could be necessary, depending on the state and bureaucracy you will have to deal with. Failing that, you might have to watch the newspapers for a notice of creditors meeting. Where there are outstanding debts on the part of the deceased, it becomes the executors job to make sure they are discharged before the estate is divided among the inheritors. This assumes there is an executor and the estate has not been mishandled by that individual. Should there be no will or if the family contests the will then the courts get involved. Bottom line here is that you will likely need both the bill of sale and the endorsed title to successfully complete the ownership transfer.

Posted on Apr 27, 2012, 7:34 PM
from IP address

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home