Return to Index  

1/48 Sunderland

December 10 2011 at 9:47 AM
Mark Jahsan  (Login jahsboy65)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 24.247.179.25

The Combat vac:

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

I used a contour gauge to cut the bulkheads, then cut some long strips and started cutting out triangles. A bit tedious, but the perfect thing to do in the basement in front of the tube.

It's not pretty, but the midsection will be closed up. What it is is brutally strong. You can see I've cut a good sized hole into the wing root and left a flat surface for spar installation. I'll set up a jig, use a bunch of 5 minute epoxy, and make the spar smaller than the hole to allow me some wiggle for adjustments.

When the halves join, I'll use 1/2" strips running the length of the seam to give each side something to latch onto. Top seam will probably get four, two on each side so they interlock.

Bottom seam I'll try something new for the V hull. I'll build a dam of sorts in one half, then fill it with 30 minute epoxy to give me some time to correctly join the halves, letting it finish vertical so the epoxy fills the joint.

By happy accident, found I had the perfect tool for the windows. A drill bit, but it worked like a paddle bit, with the center starter and two "ears" that cut the hole very cleanly. I ran some pencil lines, then started each porthole with a pin vise first to establish centers.

Tail will just have the turret in it, although I do plan on cutting out all the control surfaces and making those distinct parts, as the scribing isn't good.

Still debating the nose. It'd be cool to have the front door open, and turret retracted for a possible diorama- but who am I kidding! I'll probably keep it buttoned up, and put some work into the turrets and cockpit as they'll be fairly visible.

I had written Combat to ask about replacement clears as these had yellowed badly, as well as looking for engines and props for the Mk III. They ended up sending me two sets of clear parts no charge. They still sent out the P&W's (copies of old Monogram I believe)`, but said he had a set of resin Bristols, and sent those also! Looks like the old Medallion resin, a pumpkin pie color, fitting as I got them just before Thanksgiving!

Respond to this message   
Responses

Posting or replying to messages on Theme Pix requires visitors to register. If you have not already registered on one of HyperScale's other Forums, you will need to:

1. First register with Network 54, the Forum provider.Click here to register with Network 54.

2. Then, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

free counters