Return to Index  

Harrier GR-5 - 1/72nd Testors hangar queen w/ PE

April 23 2012 at 10:17 PM

Ross McArthur  (Login recce_ship)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 125.237.33.14

Finally have a reason to continue w/ this nice little kit.

Scored the Airwaves 1/72nd PE, w/ thanks to Jeff and the crew @ Rare-Plane Detective!

As the Chinese proverb says, "if you wait by the river long enough you'll see the body of your enemy float by."

I knew there'd be s/thing in PE for the GR-5 eventually and Jeff came through.
Of course, there still remains the minor issue of a vac canopy. But we work with what we have.

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

I used a Reversed Colour Technicque on the brass. Painted a goodly coat of enamel white, over primer. Once well dry a light coat of lacquer black, then I lightly swabbed the raised parts with a Q-tip dampened with thinners.
It mostly brought out the underlying white on the high points but still removed some white to expose the brass.

Dry-brushed with more white to fix some details.
Minor touch-up as I went, with a light wash of diluted artist's acrylic black to cover up some white overflow.

I've forgot how long I've had the Testor's offering. Probably part of my 'ODS' phase, back in the 90s.
Details are fairly basic though the kit IP has raised detail that could work with judicious dry-brushing.
Also scared up another decal sheer, from the ESCi kit. It has IP and console decals.

Seat is basic and needs some beefing up. I scored s/thing from the spares tray the works better and spiced it up with scrap. Carved the control stick from sprue.

Rest of the PE is HUD frame, belts, tie-down rings (for the outriggers0, scissor links, aerials/yaw indicator, countermeasure grills, throttle levers, fuse vanes for the bombs and a canopy bow with mirrors.

I've been wanting a GR-5 in RAF two greens.

Regards

Rossco

Respond to this message   

Posting or replying to messages on Theme Pix requires visitors to register. If you have not already registered on one of HyperScale's other Forums, you will need to:

1. First register with Network 54, the Forum provider.Click here to register with Network 54.

2. Then, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

free counters