<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Apollo, a Bird Dog, and a Family Truckster.

July 22 2012 at 7:55 PM

Darren Tamanaha  (Login 940735)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 67.127.229.75

I haven't had much time to work on anything, but I got to do some work on these three 1/48 kits.
First up is a Dragon Apollo CSM that I am thinking about building it mounted to a Dragon Lander Maybe Apollo 13? Not sure yet happy.gif
I am trying to figured out how to get the taped overlap look on the CSM. Here it is withe the EA-6B and L-19 for size.
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Second is the Bird Dog I started, and have put on hold untill I get a Book that Scott told me about. I was on the fence on building a OE-1 that Ed McMahon flew in Korea, or Ike's L-19. Also Snake sent me some great Pictures, that help me get this far happy.gif
[linked image]

And the Family Truckster that has been fighting me for a while. I was leaning twards a VMAQ-2, But I might do a VAQ-135 with Kenny on the Tail happy.gif ( Sorry Terence )
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Thanks for looking, and I hope to get more done on the 1/200 DC-10 and KC-135R. Darren

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
larry allen
(Login cuzn246)
HyperScale Forums

Bird Dog Kit

July 22 2012, 9:33 PM 

May I ask what kit is the Bird Dog? I just got primer on the 1/48 MODEL USA version.

Super work!

An Old Soldier, but not faded away. Yet.

Respond to this message   

Darren Tamanaha
(Login 940735)
HyperScale Forums

Hi Larry, Thanks. Its the Model USA Kit also. Hope you post some of your work.

July 24 2012, 12:41 AM 

Would love to see other Bird Dogs happy.gif Mine had a lot of flash, and the Decals were missing. Overall nice kit, Darren

Respond to this message   
larry allen
(Login cuzn246)
HyperScale Forums

Re: Hi Larry, Thanks. Its the Model USA Kit also. Hope you post some of your work.

July 30 2012, 1:53 PM 

I had lots of flash also. It's the first kit I've ever seen that included an addendum to the instructions detailing how to correct the errors, deficiencies, short shot pieces, poor/ill fitting clear pieces. However, so as not to be a whiner, let me add that the addendum was accurate.

What I'm trying to replicate:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

A close up of the kit decals:

Photobucket

I'm not through yet, but I have since added the 'antenna' like thingies on top of the fuselage, and the tail wheel.

An Old Soldier, but not faded away. Yet.

Respond to this message   
Peter Fey
(Login easixpedro)
HyperScale Forums

Great pic of 2 Grumman products

July 23 2012, 3:55 AM 

I often chuckle at the thought that Grumman was building the Lunar Module at the same time they started building the EA-6B.

Great looking Prowler cockpit

Thanks for sharing!
-Peter

Respond to this message   

Darren Tamanaha
(Login 940735)
HyperScale Forums

Thanks Peter. I forgot Grumman built the LM, and what a difference huh :)

July 24 2012, 12:42 AM 

nm

Respond to this message   

Andrew White
(Login AWF8251)
HyperScale Forums

"Overlapped" tape look on CSM...

July 24 2012, 10:30 AM 

Nice looking stuff there!

For that over lapping look on the CSM, I'd go with strips off Bare Metal Foil. I know it sounds tedious but you look like a more than capable model builder.

Respond to this message   

Darren Tamanaha
(Login 940735)
HyperScale Forums

Thanks. I don't know if I am good enough to do that, but...

July 24 2012, 11:34 PM 

I did stay a Holiday Inn Express one happy.gif Ha Ha. Thanks for the tip. I been figuring out other ways to do it, and I think your right. Thats to best way to get that look. Thanks, Darren

Respond to this message   

Steve Sliger
(Login Bo105flyer)
HyperScale Forums

"Overlapped" Tape Look, checkout Space in Minature #6....

July 26 2012, 10:38 PM 

You can find the mylar tape pattern for the Command Module in
Mike Mackowski's Space book seris:

Space in Minature #6 Apollo CSM:

http://www.spaceinminiature.com/books/about.html

It will take some patience but it can be done as I have seen pictures of models done this way (using Bare Metal foil).

but if you don't want to try that, just paint the Command Module with Alclad Chrome & go from there. Another possible way to do this is to scribe the tape pattern into the CM, then shoot it with Alclad Chrome. This has been discussed on the yahoo space modelers group forum.

For Apollo 13, Glenn Johnson did a 1/48 scale build of this which appeared in Fine Scale Modeler magazine years ago. You could use this article help build the "explosion damaged" Service Module.

Hope this helps,
Steve sliger

Respond to this message   

Darren Tamanaha
(Login 940735)
HyperScale Forums

Thanks for the link. I been dragging my feet trying, but I think im going...

July 29 2012, 1:46 AM 

to do it in Bare Metal Foil. I hope I don't nuts first happy.gif Thanks again, Darren

Respond to this message   
Steve Cook
(Login wisco1)
HyperScale Forums

Fantastic Darren !! That is looking really nice, keep up the great work!!

July 25 2012, 5:46 PM 

Respond to this message   

Darren Tamanaha
(Login 940735)
HyperScale Forums

Thanks Steve.

July 29 2012, 1:44 AM 

nm

Respond to this message   
Terence Wong
(Login twong322)
HyperScale Forums

Great looking trio.

July 29 2012, 9:05 AM 

Looking forward to seeing them all done. No worries about the VMAQ-2 bird. Always nice to see your builds.

I wish I knew you were doing the Apollo. I was just at the Air and Space Museum and only got one picture though. It was jam packed there and getting a lot of pictures was near impossible.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Theme Pix requires visitors to register. If you have not already registered on one of HyperScale's other Forums, you will need to:

1. First register with Network 54, the Forum provider.Click here to register with Network 54.

2. Then, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

free counters