<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

B-58 Build II

March 8 2013 at 9:32 PM

(Login johnezzo)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 173.71.74.172

Monogram 1/48 B-58.
This build is turning out to be one of my more difficult builds.
Because of all of the complicated curves I've had to rethink the order of assembly, heck with the instructions!
Tonight I've attached the lower fuselage to the lower wing half. Never did that before! I had the forward fuselage together before realizing that it needed to come apart for the wing attachment to be correct. One giant step back and two forward. Another giant step will be tackling the lower pod attachment. Let's not even talk about those engine nacelles. Stay tuned.
I made side windows from the top windows from the 1/48 B-17. I cut them to shape , sanded and polished them.
Yours in Perseverance,
John

[linked image]

[linked image]
The shim took up a bit of uneveness at the fuselage joint and covered a gap at the wing root.

[linked image]

[linked image]
I forgot to mention the resin Intakes from Fisher Models and Pattern. Order the complete set of B-58 stuff, it's a cheaper way to go.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Steve F
(Login SFrese)
HyperScale Forums

Press on with a hint

March 10 2013, 2:19 PM 

Hi John.

No - the fit is not all that great but press on with patience. The B-58 has a commanding presence and it will look spectacular in the display cabinet when done. I did mine in the Convair company scheme. Well worth the effort.

The biggest challenge I had when building mine was how to stay ahead of all steps and gaps. As you've discovered, disregarding the assembly instructions is a must if you want to avoid some real headaches. I found the upper wing half did not want to close up against the upper fuselage. Don't know if your kit has the same issue or not. But if it does, here's how I solved it assuming the wing halves are not glued together:

1) Clean up the mating surface of the fuselage from any bumps or ridges along the edge.

2) Fit the fuselage to the upper wing, be sure it is aligned along the center line of the A/C.

3) Gently squeeze the wing to the fuselage and scribe a line in the wing along the outside edges of the fuselage. Separate the parts.

4) Drill a few small holes through the wing just to the inside of the scribe line and along the length of the joint. 4 or 5 should be plenty. The holes should be smaller than the thickness of the edge of the fuselage

5) Fit the parts back together again. When you have them aligned, squeeze them together to close the gap and apply a drop of super thin C/A through the holes. The CA will tack the parts together but not run outside joint unless you use too much.

6) Once the C/A has set, run some liquid glue along the outside of the joint to weld it all together (I don't trust C/A over the long haul)

The intakes look good, BTW. I'll have to get those if I ever do one again.

Yours in perseverance,
Steve

Respond to this message   

(Login johnezzo)
HyperScale Forums

Thanks for the hints,

March 21 2013, 10:01 PM 

I need as much of this as I can get.

John E.

Respond to this message   
Rod Bettencourt
(Login rodbettencourt)
HyperScale Forums

Stay with it John

March 19 2013, 9:22 PM 

John,

This is a tuff build, but you will be rewarded at the end. As for the engines, just shim them and super glue.

Best wishes

Rod

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Respond to this message   

John Ezzo
(Login johnezzo)
HyperScale Forums

You are my Ideal...

March 21 2013, 9:58 PM 

Beautiful build. I can only hope that mine turns out half as nice as yours.
Thanks, john E.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - B-58 Build II
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Theme Pix requires visitors to register. If you have not already registered on one of HyperScale's other Forums, you will need to:

1. First register with Network 54, the Forum provider.Click here to register with Network 54.

2. Then, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

free counters