Return to Index  

Gamo Recon seal tear

October 28 2006 at 6:58 PM
Daniel  (Login dmrey73)

I just picked up the Gamo Recon (my first airgun) yesterday at a local (OKC) Academy. I spent a few hours checking out reviews and doing alot of reading here, and for my 'needs' (backyard target practice for me and the kids), I saw no need for anything like 1000 fps. The smaller size is a little large for my smaller 8 y/o and a little small for the 14 y/o - but we're still having fun with it (and Dad now wants a REAL airgun).

First a few comments about the gun...

1- It's alot of fun (just ask my 8 and 14 year old)
2- the scope that came with it never would sight in (I took 1-2 hours messing around with it to figure this out)
3- I'm still on my first tin of Gamo match pellets, but 250 pellets won't last long (does this little plinker really need 500-1000 shots to break it in?)
4- Three 50# sacks of sand from Lowe's works much quiter than a sheet of plywood for a backstop
5- Daisy's MaxView electronic sight seems to work pretty well for us 'beginners'
6- 1" orange dots are a pain at 10m and alot of fun at 5m

okay... enough introduction

I discovered about 2/3rds of the way thru my tin this afternoon that the seal was torn. This is what looks like a little rubber grommet that is on the chamber side of the pellet (behind the pellet). A small portion (about 1/3) of the rubber was torn down and hanging by a tiny amount. I was a little concerned about it, and tore it off.

Okay - so now ... sometimes it won't hit anywhere near where I'm aiming. I'm going to try resighting in at 5m and see how often it does this.

Also - I didn't expect this little gun to diesel, but my son noticed a tiny amount of smoke coming out of the barrel each time we reloaded it this morning. I don't know if this is just hot oil visible in the bright sun light - or 'smoke' from true dieseling.

My questions ... is a small tear going to matter that much? Should I just take a razor to the entire seal to trim it flat with the metal around it? Is there a quick and easy replacement for this? Can I replace this with a regular plumbing seal? Do I need to return this to Academy or send it in to Gamo for repair (this is day 2 ... and I'm just getting warmed up - so I'd really miss this little plinker).

Enough words... (I'm going to go plink some more)

Thanks for any comments and help you can offer.
Daniel in OKC

Respond to this message   
Responses

Click The Banner To Visit sites.

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.