<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

"Oversized" barrels?

August 27 2006 at 8:26 PM
  (Login daved20319)
YFOT

I've seen several references to Gamo barrels being "oversized". Just what does this mean, and how important is it? In a response from Jim Maccarri regarding parts for Gamo's, he said that Gamo's have oversized barrels, and because of that, virtually every shot is a dry fire. We all know what that means with a springer. So what, if anything, can or should be done about it? Is pellet choice the answer? I know that JSB offers Exacts in three different head diameters. But if there's no difference between the three, that's no help. Custom after market barrel? I bought a $200 CFX because of wallet limitations! I know that a Lothar-Walther .177 choked airgun barrel is available for less than $100, but I know nothing about installing one. I do know it's not as simple as changing barrels on a Ruger 10/22! Reality is, by the time I get my CFX back from the tuner, I'll be into it for close to $600. That includes replacing the scope it came with, but doesn't include pellets. Glad my wife doesn't know the total to date ! So, any ideas/suggestions/opinions would be much appreciated. After all, this directly impacts the longevity of my gun. Thanks!

Dave

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Anonymous
(Login RedFeather)
YFOT

Did he tell you that himself?

August 27 2006, 8:38 PM 

I talked to him once about a surplus Walther 55 (Egyptian contract) and he like to read me the riot act about what junk they were. Sounded a bit touchy at that time. Maybe he was having an off day and jumped on the Gamo's? I do know he has been picky about what brands he services/stocks parts for. Well, if the CFX's have over-sized bores that allow too much piston slam, how come the guys here aren't experiencing mechanical failures? I do know that Ken and Company have been advising the largest pellet you can find, as the chambers are on the generous size. Anyway, the skirts should flare out sufficiently to obturate and fill the rifling. If others' posts concerning accuracy of the CFX are any indication, I would guess most shoot as well as you can hold them. I think that, dollar for dollar, the Gamo's are a very good buy.

What, me worry???

Respond to this message   

(Login daved20319)
YFOT

Gamo barrels

August 27 2006, 9:12 PM 

You're preaching to the choir. I love my CFX, and the more I shoot it and read about it, the more I love it. My first air rifle, bought it in June, so this is all new to me. My personal conviction at the time was that a fixed barrel rifle would be (potentially) more accurate than a break barrel, so I narrowed my search to fixed barrels. With my limited research at the time, that meant CFX, $200, or RWS 48/52, about $400. Talking my wife into a $200 toy is much easier than $400, so CFX it was. Can't say I'm sorry, although my opinion of break barrels has changed alot in the week plus that Charlie has had my CFX. I borrowed my bosses Varmint Stalker/Shadow 1K to prevent withdrawals, and the accuracy has been a pleasant surprise. Downside to that, now I have way too many choices for my next gun! Later.

Dave

Respond to this message   

(Login kenatthefarm)
YFOT

Welcome back, big guy! How ya been? We missed you.-nt

August 27 2006, 9:31 PM 

Respond to this message   
Garrett
(Login gmany)
YFOT

Pellet choice is the answer

August 27 2006, 9:37 PM 

Get RWS superdomes or Beeman Field Target Specials. They fit well and will likely give very good accuracy. FTS are more aerodynamic, so it you're shooting groups at 100yds like Ken, then they'd be the way to go.

Crosman Premeres are small as far as pellets go. They fall right through the barrel of my RWS320. So I don't use them in my CFX or RWS 320.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - "Oversized" barrels?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Click The Banner To Visit sites.

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.