<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Sighted In.

September 10 2006 at 4:54 PM
  (Login JOHNSAIRMADNESS)
YC

I found out that I can shoot my 1250 at paper all day long, but one step in the woods and you better sight it in different. I found out that my 1250 will shoot high when pointing the rifle up into the trees, almost 4 inches. So, I sighted it in pointing up at trees at 25 yards. But have to remember to shoot high when squirrels are at eye or even level.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login kenatthefarm)
YFOT

Yes. Its wierd, but hold under when shooting up or down.-nt

September 10 2006, 5:18 PM 

Respond to this message   

(Login Gamo177shadow1000)

here might be a reason why....

September 10 2006, 8:56 PM 

when you shoot at a target on the ground or "even", you are shooting at a known distance. When you are in the field you don't have time to get out a range finder so generally we estimate larger distances as being shorter, especially when your target range doesn't have many trees around it and the place you hunt does. Just a thought. Be safe, have fun.

Good men die young,

Great men never die!

Respond to this message   

(Login kenatthefarm)
YFOT

No, thats not it. NCSteve can explain it better, but it has to do with the fact

September 10 2006, 9:27 PM 

that the pull of gravity is acting upon the trajectory at an angle rather than perpendicularly.

Respond to this message   
Garrett
(Login gmany)
YFOT

The tree might be part of it, but the bigger issue is that gravity only acts

September 10 2006, 10:40 PM 

on the pellet pulling it to the earth, virtually perpendicular to level shots. If you are shooting up at an angle, the drop is not related to the direct distance, but the horizontal distance.

So if you shoot at a squirrel 35yds away, but the tree the squirrel is in is only 20yds away, you should shoot like you would at 20yds.

A 4" difference is pretty big though. There should not be that big of a difference, b/c there is not that big of an aim difference between distances we shoot, unless you're talking from 20 to 50yds. But for that equivalent you'd have to be shooting at a steep angle, either up or down.

Respond to this message   

(Login pneuguy)
GM

Actually, Garrett, the "horizontal range rule" is an approximation...

September 11 2006, 12:01 AM 

...that ignores air resistance (assumes vacuum) and sight height (assumes the line of sight and boreline are coaxial).

This means it's a great tool for powder burners shooting at big game, but lousy for airguns.

For airguns, you need a more precise tool, like this one:

Click here: http://www.airgunexpo.com/calc/calc_hold.cfm?

Steve

Respond to this message   
Glover, Walter
(Login Voltar1)
YFOT

The simple correction is to shoot with the hold the 'horizontal'

September 12 2006, 12:47 PM 

distance requires. Say the base of the tree is 20 yards from you then shoot as if you are shooting at 20 yards.
The shooting distance is the horizontal component of the triangle whether shooting 'up' or 'down'
Simplistic but useful in the field.
Walter....

Respond to this message   

(Login pneuguy)
GM

Walter, suppose you're standing 5 yards from the base of a pine tree...

September 13 2006, 8:23 PM 

...shooting at a squirrel 25yards up on a branch.

Most likely, a 5 yard horizontal shot would need a lot of holdover, since it would be well inside the near zero - moreso than if you were shooting a 25yd horizontal shot. Would you really hold over for that upstairs squirrel, as the "horizontal range" rule tells you to do?

Hint: if you do, you'll miss him by a mile.

Steve

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Sighted In.
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Click The Banner To Visit sites.

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.