<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Out of the box power for a CFX

October 24 2006 at 4:58 PM
ORBEX  (Login ORBEX)

Hey there I'm a first time poster, great informative site.

I just bought a new CFX Combo in .177. This was advertized as 1000fps and as such reqired me hold a firearms licence (since I live in Canada which is restricted to 500fps for non FAC/PAL holders). Anyway I have a licence so bought it, got it home and ran a couple of dozen of various pellets through it. Then decide to shoot it through the F1 Chrony. Only had time for a few shots and used various pellets (Gamo Master point, Gamo Magnum, Crossman Premier Hollow Point and some Crossman pointed hunting pellets).I got readings ranging from 712 to 860 fps. The highest at 860 fps was one of the Gamo Master points which I believe weigh 7.9 grains. I calculate that this equates to 12.97ft-lbs of energy as the best case shot. This seems pretty low to me, I was expecting 16ft-lbs, but I'm no expert. What do you guys think, is this normal for a new CFX? What pellet weight is supposed to yield 1000fps? Will the power increase as the guns gets more use? Do I need to have it tuned to get its full power?

Sorry for all the questions, but would like some more expert opinion.

Thanks!

This message has been edited by ORBEX on Oct 24, 2006 5:02 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Ken Fawcett
(Login kenatthefarm)
YFOT

I would never expect nor want 1000 FPS from a CFX. (I have 4) Your numbers seem a tad

October 24 2006, 5:14 PM 

low but the barrel probably needs a good (read: really good) cleaning. These guns, even new, come with a gummy brown gunk in the barrel.

Respond to this message   
ORBEX
(Login ORBEX)

Re: I would never expect nor want 1000 FPS from a CFX. (I have 4) Your numbers seem a tad

October 24 2006, 5:47 PM 

You could be right about it needing cleaning. The outside was a little grubby.
What is the best way to clean one? I have a variety of rods, patches, brushes and boresnakes for my rimfires, centerfires and shotguns but nothing specifically for an airgun and not in a .177 caliber.

Also, out of interest why would you not want a CFX that reached the 1000fps that it is advertized as?

Thanks!

Respond to this message   
Ken Fawcett
(Login kenatthefarm)
YFOT

Cleaning. I use weed trimmer line with patches. Goo Gone pull through

October 24 2006, 7:43 PM 

twice. Follow with several dry patches. Remoil pull through twice. Follow with more dry patches. Repeat until patches come out clean.

Respond to this message   
ricdoug
(Login ricdoug)
YF

800's are a good speed for smoothness and stability in a springer, ORBEX...

October 24 2006, 6:01 PM 

It's uncommon to get Manufacturer's speed ratings from an airgun. I have not Chrony'd mine yet, but I've shoot enough pellets through it to get an accurate reading. I'll Chrony it soon. Mine shoots the most accurate with RWS Superdomes. Ric

Respond to this message   

Lon
(Login bigbore)
YFOT

As far as power/FPS

October 24 2006, 8:36 PM 

A lot of manufactures quote speeds with their lightest pellet under ideal circumstances, typical results with average pellets are commonly much lower. 900 fps with a mid weight, i.e. 8 grains, would be considered a good performing, "broken-in" rifle. I have mine soft tuned to shoot low 800's.

Having said that, most rifles of all brands benefit greatly from disassembly and tuning, your other option is to shoot the beejeezes out of it until it breaks in, 500-1000 pellets. I prefer the tune route myself.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Click The Banner To Visit sites.

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.