<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Head Shot vs Pellet type

December 10 2006 at 4:03 PM
Robert  (Login Robert1250)
YFOT

I'm curious to know if it matters what pellet type one uses when it comes to head shots. If a crow mag or predator are designed to dump off energy as fast as possible, but a kodiak or jsb domed is a more solid impact will these last two run through to fast?

Robert1250

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Rich. from Mich.
(Login peterdragin)
YF

head shot

December 10 2006, 4:25 PM 

It does not matter if you hit them with a head shot with a B.B. and it enters the skull, they are going to be dead.

The thing is hit them with a head shot with any pellet and you have a dead squirrel or bunny.

Respond to this message   
Garrett
(Login gmany)
YFOT

Aim at the base of the ear. I've put several pellets through the eye

December 10 2006, 4:58 PM 

This does not produce a lightning fast kill. Most die soon, but not all.

Once I shot a cottontail in his left eye and out the back of his head from about 5 yds with superdomes in .177. He then ran into the front yard and down a couple of houses. Since I didn't feel like getting the cops called on me I just sat back down and waited. The friend that was w/me walked to where the bunny stopped under a bush. He gave it a nudge w/ his foot, but it would not run away. He thought it a little distasteful to stomp on the thing and carry it back along the street in suburbia, so he came back and waited. The cottontail returned after 2 hours into the area in which we hunt. A second head shot finished him.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login Robert1250)
YFOT

Re: Aim at the base of the ear. I've put several pellets through the eye

December 10 2006, 6:18 PM 

This is why I'm asking what pellet would you use to help cause the most damage from the ones I've mentioned or what is your's and everyone's else's choice's?

Robert1250

Respond to this message   
Garrett
(Login gmany)
YFOT

First thing is that you have to hit where you aim.

December 10 2006, 7:15 PM 

Try out various pellets. Shoot what hits. If a Beeman Crow Magnum or a JSB Predator hits where you aim, all the better for taking game.

Respond to this message   

(Login roran1234)
YF

In that situation you get a pistol, and conceal the BOOM

December 10 2006, 8:45 PM 

or just be a man and break it's neck! lol

Oliver

P.S i was kidding about being a man

Respond to this message   
Garrett
(Login gmany)
YFOT

Finishing a cottontail is not worth getting a visit from local law enforcement

December 10 2006, 9:38 PM 

Say the cops walk around the corner w/ pistols drawn and there you are standing w/ a pellet gun. I'm not going to risk that situation in my own yard, let alone on the street w/ a concealed pellet pistol. The DA would throw the book at me, then I gotta go into major debt (lawyers) to dodge trumped up charges.

I enjoy shooting outdoors and taking pests, but I try to not do anything too noticeable so as to avoid any police involvement or scaring the neighbors. Where I shoot I've got three backyards in which I can shoot coming to a grand total of +40yds by 50yds. I don't have permission to shoot outside that and I will not.

Respond to this message   

Rich. from Mich.
(Login peterdragin)
YF

shooting

December 10 2006, 8:03 PM 

Why all the worry about what pellet to use ?
It does not matter to the rabbit whether he gets shot with a Crow Magnum, or CPL. It’s where he gets hit is the key to a successful kill.
The thing most young hunters must do is find a pellet that goes where he aims, not what it does after it hits the target.
If you can’t hit what you aim at, shooting a live targets is just going to wound a bunch animals.
Shot placement is the thing you must concentrate on, you aim at a certain spot not just a bunch of fur in your scope.
Every hunter young or old has done this at sometime or another and missed or just wounded the animal by not placing the shot in the correct place by getting excited or nervous.

Respond to this message   
Robert
(Login Robert1250)
YFOT

Re: shooting

December 10 2006, 10:33 PM 

Yes I understand that shot placement is the key for a humane kill, and that's what's important to me. Even though the pellet is going very fast which one will disrupt the most brain matter?

Robert1250

Respond to this message   

Rich. from Mich.
(Login peterdragin)
YF

shooting

December 10 2006, 11:50 PM 

The one that shoots the MOST ACCURATE !!!!

Respond to this message   
Bart
(Login Bwess)
YFOT

I think what your asking..

December 11 2006, 3:34 PM 

If all is equal and lets say the RWS superdome and the Predator pellets have the same accuracy out of your hunting rig which one do you use? Well now it comes to which ones does the most damage. The pellets designed for hunting will cause the most damage (I would hope). I have two guns in which the predator pellet groups well with, and I would not hesitate to use them. But I also have guns that do not do well with them so I select another pellet.
Bart

Respond to this message   

RedFeather
(Login RedFeather)
YFOT

I think the most accurate is the one you want

December 11 2006, 5:43 PM 

At these speeds the pellet configuration (domed vs wadcutter, for example) isn't that big a factor. These pellets are pure, soft lead and should do about the same amounts of damage. Maybe a pointed pellet will penetrate better, but the trauma delivered to a small animal should be lethal with all three styles. What is most important in any game hunting is shot placement. As has been said, you can't kill what you can't hit.

What, me worry???

Respond to this message   

(Login Robert1250)
YFOT

Luckily for me that all the pellets

December 12 2006, 10:24 AM 

I have mentioned are accurate in my air rifle and I will stick with JSB domes for long range shots and the crow magnums and predators for closer shots. I figure that since a domed pellets head is solid they will hit with a bigger "punch" so to say, and when I want to be sure the pellet hangs around "a little longer" I'll use the hollow points. Thanks guy's for the advice above everything else humane shot's are the best. .22 cal 1250 and s1k .177 cal

Robert1250

This message has been edited by Robert1250 on Dec 12, 2006 10:43 AM
This message has been edited by Robert1250 on Dec 12, 2006 10:42 AM
This message has been edited by Robert1250 on Dec 12, 2006 10:30 AM

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Head Shot vs Pellet type
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Click The Banner To Visit sites.

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.