<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

That Gamo shroud string, below, got me to wondering

April 12 2007 at 12:26 AM

RedFeather  (Login RedFeather)
YFOT

Why are full-length shrouds and synthetic mods the "thing of the future"? I remember a company that was taking standard 10/22 barrels and putting them into a tensioned sleeve to improve accuracy, but what does a full length synthetic mod offer an airgun? Can't be that much weight, although the sleeve on my 75 is supposed to aid in balance. These shrouds don't seem to have anything to offer over the underlying standard steel barrel in terms of rigidity. Dampen vibration? Wouldn't a barrel tuner offer better control? So, what is it about them, cosmetics aside, that makes them the way to go?

What, me worry???

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login photo22)
YFOT

Re: That Gamo shroud string, below, got me to wondering

April 12 2007, 1:24 AM 

Red check out the link below:

After testing and seeing it for my self shrouds and bull barrels can help the gun achieve better accuracy.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/479035/thread/1172370301/

Respond to this message   

Anonymous
(Login RedFeather)
YFOT

Re: That Gamo shroud string, below, got me to wondering

April 12 2007, 1:16 PM 

While it's shrouded, the link refers to balancing the stock through weighting the butt. Maybe I missed something?

What, me worry???

Respond to this message   

Photo22
(Login photo22)
YFOT

Yes....it's all about adding the weight and changing Harmonics

April 12 2007, 2:03 PM 

And I did reference that the gun was nose heavy, but it still was shooting great. Bench rest shooting the gun was great, but off hand shooting I can tell the balance was just alittle to far up front. I think by adding weight to the front or back of the S1K will make it a better shooter. As far as the shroud...well thats weight up front. The total weight of my Rich tuned S1K is 9+lbs and that was on a bathroom scale. I added weight to my son's Shadow Sport and the total WT is now 8+lbs and its shooting much better. That Shadow Sport has a bull barrel from Gamo.

This message has been edited by photo22 on Apr 12, 2007 7:15 PM

Respond to this message   

(Login pneuguy)
GM

Well, it is nice to have a rustproof grip on a breakbarrel. ...nt

April 12 2007, 1:34 AM 

Steve

Respond to this message   

Matt in the Bayou
(Login nutriahunter)
YFOT

Maybe just a placebo............

April 12 2007, 9:16 AM 

putting aside the fact that a shroud sure does fancy up the ole s1k, I've noticed improved accuracy in my shots. (Maybe less than Photo22 has ) Then again you'd be surprised the tricks your mind will play on you.

Harmonics wise:shroud to an air rifle vs the sleeve/shroud to a Ruger 10/22, there is no comparison. But if you put all the little things you can do to improve whatever you doing better, it adds up in the long run.

End result I, personally, did not see a huge difference by adding the shroud alone. Tune kit, trigger insert, shroud (thx rich)and adding faom and weight to the stock(thx photo) sure did make the s1k a whole new gun, also my buddy's think I have one hell of a air rifle!

Matt

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - That Gamo shroud string, below, got me to wondering
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Click The Banner To Visit sites.

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.