<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Gamo Extreme Hunter Air Rifle

November 12 2008 at 8:19 PM
Fleming  (Login Simplyhooked)
YC

Is there anyone out there that's had any experience with this airgun shooting the Gamo Raptor PBA Pellets in .22 caliber?

TIA,
Simplyhooked

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

RedFeather
(Login RedFeather)
YFOT

You might want to order an extra spring with that

November 13 2008, 1:23 PM 

Those pellets are a shade under 10 grains. In talking to someone who has one in .177, the recoil is pretty impressive (and he's a seasoned AG shooter.) I should think a diet of light pellets, even in .22, would be hard on the gun. My impression is these higher powered .22's do better with slightly heavier than average ammo. Plus there's nothing like the cohesiveness of lead to really deliver shock.

Respond to this message   

(Login DaveEnnis)
YFOT

I have read a lot about....

November 13 2008, 4:04 PM 

about this gun and the pellets that folks use. Because some day, I plan to get an Extreme myself. So I have no direct experience, only what I've read. Some of my Gamo air rifle purchases came with PBA pellets but I did not even try them. And they are very expensive.

Everyone says they are too light, and not made out of lead. Too light translates into too fast and inaccuracy. In .177 especially, the light weight usually makes the pellet go supersonic, which makes the pellet wander all over the place. The stress that these pellets put on the mainspring is tremendous. The mainspring can be expected to fail much sooner than if only regular weight lead pellets are used. While the .22 raptor may not go supersonic, its light weight does not allow it to retain "smack factor" downrange, and is affected much more by wind than a heavier pellet. Another question that comes up a lot is "What happens to the rifling of the barrel"??? when this non-lead product is used.

It has been theorized that the Raptor Pellet may be a marketing scheme. Users are attracted to the high velocities that can be achieved with this pellet. But the use of this pellet results in failure of their guns, and then the buyer/user buys another gun because key repair parts are not available. The buyer/user can send their gun in for repair, but then the user has no airgun while waiting for repair. The buyer/user could then even buy another gun while waiting. Its akin to buying a shot of sweet poison with your dinner.

The airgun experts/gurus say that this pellet should not be used, no matter what caliber. Also, there's pleny of users who have tried them, and then never use them again. I must confess that I was attracted to the high velocity factor, but then once I started reading all the bad things about the pellet, I changed my mind, and did not use them.

Respond to this message   
Fleming
(Login Simplyhooked)
YC

Thanks Everyone,

November 13 2008, 10:49 PM 

Everything that's been said is what I've known for years concerning these pellets and others that are like them.

A friend of mine is considering buying one because of what he saw on OLN but I've seen it before, that's the one where the dude takes out a boar with the .177. I know better than to use a very light pellet in a magnum spring because of everything that you've mentioned.

Thanks once again for your imput and your opinion. It's always great to know that there are people out there like yourselves that care enough to respond and you know from your own experiences.

Fleming

Respond to this message   

RedFeather
(Login RedFeather)
YFOT

Tell him to buy a pack of bacon

November 14 2008, 8:09 AM 

It's a more realistic experience. That hunt has been discussed with a great deal of disgust here and elsewhere. Too bad because those Gamo rifles are not bad and good hunting guns, just not for large game. With regular pellets and a tune he should be more than happy with one.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Gamo Extreme Hunter Air Rifle
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Click The Banner To Visit sites.

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.