I wonder if anyone can help, whenever I have tried to laquer my kits it always seems to pickle the decals. John has always been excellent in suppling replacement decals, but i would rather get it right first time. I have tried Tamiya, Halfords, Extra colour etc all with no luck. has anyone got any ideas?
I've just finished spraying Halfords laquer onto a Marsh 917/30 and had no issues at all. Infact I've used Halfords laquer on almost all of my models from a variety of manufacturers and never had an issue (now that's tempting fate!).
I find the trick is to use Microset and Sol to apply the decal (even the flat ones) over well dried paint. Leave to dry and spray 2-3 misted coats of laquer from a good distance. These will dry slightly rough, but will protect the decals from a single wet coat shot afterwards. I leave about 10 minutes betwean the mist coats, with about 20 before the wet coat and it seems to work every time. The real thing to watch out for is air bubbles trapped under the decals as these can cause the decal to lift as the laquer goes off.