This FORUM is dedicated to all the State, Metro & County Parks & Nature Preserves in S.E. Michigan. Look for INFO, Maps, and great things to do right here in the local Metro area.
Not logged in | Login | Create AccountIndex    
Saturday, 6 April 2013

Spring Flowers ID sheets

The earliest of the Spring wild flowers are about to start. this is a great time of year. When everything just goes crazy in blooming, flowering and budding. The fragrances and beautiful flowers are overwhelming. Mix that in with the Bird Migrations taking place at this moment, and it is why Springtime in Southeastern Michigan is such a wonderful time of year.
Download our Spring Flowers ID sheets here. These sheets cover the most common Spring Flowers in S.E. Michigan.
http://www.hikingmichigan.com/PDFinfo/SpringFlowers.pdf

[linked image]

[linked image]

Comments: -Reply with comment  

Tuesday, 25 December 2012
SNOW SHOE & Winter Tips

Since we have finally recieved some snow through out the entire state of Michigan, we thought it appropriate to do an INFO sheet on hpow to select a new pair of Snow Shoes. The INFO sheets also have some good Snow Shoeing comments and advice from Hiking Michigan members as always. You can download the SNOW SHOE BASICE Info sheet here: http://www.hikingmichigan.com/PDFinfo/SnowShoes.pdf

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

While you are out on the Winter Trails, here are a few TIPS to make a Winter Hike or Snow Shoe experience, just a ;ittle bit more fun. You can download the WINTER TIPS Info sheets here;
http://www.hikingmichigan.com/PDFinfo/WINTERTips.pdf

[linked image]

[linked image]

Monday, 26 November 2012
Michigan Natural Resources

We are sponsoring yet another web site/Blog. This one is dedicated to spreading as much information about the Natural Resources in Michigan for the betterment of the entire state. The Blog contains many Links for info and ID of Plants, Birds, Animals, Trees, Invasive Species and Ecosystems contains in our state.
We hope this site will lead to more awareness of our delicate environments here in Michigan and help everyone to identify the wonders here in Michigan.
The site is still growing, so stop back soon and see what is happening.

http://michigannaturalresources.wordpress.com/

[linked image]

Tuesday, 9 October 2012
Fall Bird Songs

You may have noticed while you have been observing the Fall colors, that the Birds are singing once again. They sing in the Springtime to attract a mate and claim territories. The males do most of the singing. Once they have settled into a nest and have a mate, most of the singing stops, or is cut way back, and we have a much quieter Summer months.

But.....as with many things in the Natural world, the cycle comes around again, for the males in the Fall months, and singing starts up once again. Check out the latest Blog posting on this annual Birding cycle, at the Link posted below:
http://hikingmichigan.wordpress.com/2012/10/09/fall-birds-are-singing/

Wednesday, 22 August 2012
Michigan Spiders

Here is an excellent Blog site, dedicated to exclusively Michigan Spiders. Wonderful way to become familiar with our Spider friends and learn the few that can cause us problems. Most cannot. A wonderful reference site as well.

http://michiganspiders.blogspot.com/

Sunday, 1 April 2012
Spring Flowers ID sheets

Since we are getting many Spring flowers blooming early this year, we thought we would remind all of you of our most common ID sheet "Download". It is 2 pages lonmg, of some of the most common wild flowers to bloom in early Spring in S.E.MI. parks.

You can download this ID sheet either from the web site's DOWNLOAD page or from this link.:
http://www.hikingmichigan.com/PDFinfo/SpringFlowers.pdf

[linked image]

[linked image]

Friday, 23 March 2012
Magical Places

I have had this discussion many times, with many people. Why is this particular place special, and this other place, wants me to leave. Do the planets align themselves and point to a particular spot? Has God, Buddha or Allah blessed this specific location? Or has Evil taken over the trees in this area? I know......sounds a little screwy, but how do you explain these special places? And there ARE special places.

A place that always makes you feel good. It maybe for different reasons for each of us, but the results are the same.....we always feel good about being there. In recent years, many people call these places Vortexes. What ever you wish to call them, they are real.

Take Holland Ponds park. For me, this place has been a special spot since I was in high-school. I used to hang out there, when the DNR owned the property and no one even knew it was state land. This meant, I would pretty much have the park to myself when ever I desired. I have had some of my very best wildlife experiences while roaming the park, alone, with no other human anywhere in the Park. Critters tend to be themselves when there are not many humans buzzing about.

Then there is the fact that today, the Park is considered a "Baby Factory". A place that in the Springtime, becomes the breeding grounds for everything from Herons and many bird species, to wild flowers and aquatic life galore.

I have met some of my very best lifetime friends there. While filming the Herons, Dr. Bob & his wife Judy, just happened to wander up, while out Birding and taking photos themselves, and we talked for almost 2 hours. They are still my trusted friends and people I am very happy to have in my life. Naturalist Dan Farmer, who looks after Holland Ponds is also a lifetime friend and was introduced to me while at the Park.

Accidents? How many accidents does it take to make a fact? I can go to Holland Ponds and feel great from nothing more then a short stroll and nothing else. Why?

There are other places in particular Parks that have the same effects. I go to these places, over and over again, and always feel good about it. I go to contemplate a problem I may have. I go to wonder about something, I go for no reason other then to feel good.

I am not sure what to call these places, or why they exist. But they truly exist and I am very thankful I have found a few of them and understand what they are. They may not always be that spectacular view spot, or that place where the surroundings take your breath away. But they do effect how I feel and good things always happen there. Find these places for yourself. You will know when you have found one. You will feel it.

Sunday, 18 March 2012
MY FRIENDS

Life moves at such a fast pace these days. So many things to do, so many appointments. We all tend to, in many cases, just push our ways through all the madness and hysteria, and keep it all rolling. We forget sometimes, some of the very important things in life. Our Friends. Sometimes it is just those little things that our friends do that make such a big difference in our lives. A Hug, a warm greeting, a card or small gift, a special few words that mean something, and are not just said for no real reason.
I have been ill for over 5 weeks now, and Saturday's Hike at Haven Hill was my first Hike and time out of the hospital and house in all those 5 weeks. I knew I would be pleased to see my friends of the Forest again, but I didn't realize how much it would mean. The warm words, special greetings and REAL kind words meant so very much, I cannot tell you all, how much. I cannot list out all the people and what they said or did at the Hike, or what they did for me while I was incapacitated for 5 weeks. But I can tell you all.....and you know who you are......that it all was so special for me at so many levels. We get lost in the madness that can be life, many times. But there is nothing so grounding as the real words from a real friend. And I was overwhelmed with them all on Saturday.

Thank You all so very much in helping me get through a horrible 5 weeks and in making my return to the outdoors so wonderful. Just as important to me as how you treated me as a friend, is how you have shown the rest of the Hikers at HM, how good people act towards one another, out in the woods on an HM Hike. Your all excellent role models in how people should act towards one another in general, and in the outdoors on an HM Hike. It's why we are 5,000 members strong and so many people feel so comfortable here.
I sat after the Saturday Hike and observed the 60 some cars in the Parking area, and had those thoughts and said to myself...."My Friends did all of this". And these are very special friends. Thanks hardly covers it.

Tuesday, 28 February 2012
New HIKES SCHEDULE

Well we have a pretty nice Hikes Schedule to break out of winter and into the Spring & Summer months of 2012. Not that we had any winter to really break out from.
We begin with a unique hike out at Highland Recreation area, and explore the Edsel Ford family, private Nature trails in the haven Hill Natural area of the park. A very historically interesting and environmentally special Hike. This Hike is followed by another ecosystem unique Hike,  out at Seven Lakes Sate park. The park is home to one of the largest Massasagua rattle snake populations in Michigan, as well as many FEN areas and an example of almost every Tree type that exists in our beautiful state of Michigan.
The next 2 Hikes we will be assisting the DEQ (Department of Environmental Quality), and a number of local Scout groups, in the rebuilding of our most favorite trail our at Holly Recreation area, the Lakeshore Trail. We have been using and maintaining this Trail system for over 14 years now, and these two scheduled Saturdays will be our groups way in giving back to all that use this wonderful Trails system. Free Campfire lunch will be furnished for all participants as well as many free hand-outs and maps.
On May 12th, Hiking Michigan will be co-sponsoring the 1st annual Great Blue heron festival, out at Holland Ponds park in Shelby Twp. An all day festival with detailed looks at the largest Heronry located in S.E.Michigan. There will also be horse draw Wagon rides and Bird banding at Holland ponds too. Back at the Shadbush Nature Center, many festivities are planned for the entire afternoon. Raptor displays and various aquatic demonstrations bringing in the Spring months. The whole days activities will close off with a Campfire dinner around the gathering place behind the Nature Center at dusk. Last years Hike there had over 110 people show up. We expect over 400 people at this years gathering.
So join us over the next few months for some unique and exciting Hikes and environmental activities in S.E.Michigan. No reservations are required and there are no costs to join in our scheduled Hikes. Just bring a smile, a good attitude and JOIN US!!
You can download a copy of the new HIKES Schedule at the Link provided here:
http://www.hikingmichigan.com/PDFinfo/THESCHEDULE.pdf

[linked image]

Sunday, 15 January 2012
Stony Creek HIKE reviewed

EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!! One of our better Hikes. Great turnout of some 45 people. This was our kinda Anniversary hike at Stony Creek Metro Park, where we did our very first Hike as Hiking Michigan, some 14 years ago. 4 people showed up for that Hike. Quite the difference 14 years makes. happy.gif
The local Newspapers joined us for this hike. Reporters and photographers came along on the entire 6 mile Hike. We covered alot of the Nature area, including some little unknown spots that I am sure many people will be returning to at a later date. because of the fresh snow, there where plenty of animal tracks around, as well as some deer we scared up.

Not sure what was in the air for this Hike, but everyone came out in great spirits and it reflected on the vibe for the whole Hike. Including some great trail conversations. Kathy baked some superior Cookies for us, and they where waiting the parking area for our return. Eric supplied the waters. About 10 of us didn't get enough out on the Trails, and headed for some warm dinner at a local Restaurant. It was one of Hiking Michigan's better Hikes, and how appropriate in our 14th year in existence.
Check out a short video of the Hike here: http://youtu.be/RaPCRWna4NI

Check out C & G NEWS Video of the Hike as well. Thanks to Brad Bates and Deb Jacques from the News, for the beautiful video review. http://youtu.be/sXssbciD3hY

Check out the entire written article by Brad Bates on the C & G news web site here:
http://www.candgnews.com/news/hiking-michigan-group-celebrates-14-years-trek-stony-creek

2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Next >> 

Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement