Click here for recipes!

Click here for the archives!

Return to Forum  

We are around $120/wk

November 17 2010 at 8:29 AM
  (Login stina716)
The Frugalista Files

Response to $30 a week grocery Book revisted... /Food Budgeting....

for five, kids have cereal for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch, with yogurt, a couple cookies, maybe chips too. and juice boxes. Dh cooks for dinner mostly from scratch.

we use coupons and buy on sale - the receipt usually shows we've saved 30% - this week at target we got some super saver food items and saved 70% - that was fun to see. (betty crocker boxed flavored instant potatos with sale and coupon came to 29 cents a box - that's a nickel a serving - cheaper than real potatoes!)

We haven't got a big freezer or alot of pantry space so we can't stock up like we want when we see obscene prices (like 99 cent 5 lb bag of flour this week - or $1.69 for nestle choc chips, and we had $1.00 off 3 coupons so we bought 6 bags of choc chips!) Flour is usually $2.99 and Choc chips $3 or more; so i'll find room for that (i JUST opened the last flour i got at this sale last year!)

I have to have bananas in the house and don't care what it costs (59 cents/lb though the "day old" ones get packaged up at 29 cents/lb and are good for a day or two before they have to become banbna bread.) we are not big on fresh veggies as frozen and canned are so much cheaper. two of us love bananas, we'll tolerate grapes when they're on super sale under $2 a pound, and apples are crazy cheap right now (don't laugh Maxine) at $1.19/lb, We really need to find more friends with an apple tree!

There is definitely too much junk food in our house, and plenty of room for coupon improvement. Meal planning and consistant flyer/coupon coordination could probably cut another $20-$30 off our grocery bill.

Respond to this message   
Responses