Click here for recipes!

Click here for the archives!

Return to Forum  

Pantry update: Low on meat

March 3 2011 at 8:15 AM
Maxine  (Premier Login MaxineS)
Forum Owner

OK, so I am broke this month and relying heavily on my pantry and freezer. Unfortunately, I noticed the other day that Mother Hubbard's cupboard--or at least her freezer--is getting bare. This is not a good thing when you are trying not to shop.

The first thing I am going to do is rearrange the freezer and take inventory.

I just put a frozen turkey breast in the refrigerator to thaw. I will cook it this weekend. Last weekend, I borrowed my friend's big oval Crock Pot and cooked the last of the whole pork shoulder roasts (5.5 lbs. @ .99 lb). We've been eating that, in one form or another, all week. We started with pulled pork, had pork noodles a day or two later, and sliced pork again last night...this time with mashed potatoes and gravy made from the meat juices and flour and water thickening. There's still enough for pulled pork BQ sandwiches.... We will be "porked out" by the time I am done, LOL.

At least I haven't had to do any serious cooking for a few days. Heat'n'eat is good! If anyone else is thinking along these same lines, with a big hunk of meat in the freezer...take it out today. Sometimes a frozen, rock-hard turkey is all that stands between me and a good turkey dinner, LOL.

Super One is having a 12 Hour Meat Sale today, so I will check it out. Not planning to buy anything besides the meat deals, though, because I don't really need anything else. March is a lonnnnnnnnnnnng month, at best--and I'm probably going to run out of money before I run out of month. Hey, kids, this is what a pantry is for!!

This message has been edited by MaxineS on Mar 3, 2011 8:16 AM

Respond to this message   
Responses