I am still sewing curtains for the cabin. They aren't hanging yet, so I can't send a picture. So far I have completed:
(1) Bathroom curtains with matching shower curtain and contrasting valance. I made these out of about $7-$8 worth of sheets from the thrift store. I needed two shower curtain rods and kept meaning the check at thrift stores. A couple of weeks ago, I ran into a closeout display at Wal-Mart and got two brand-new ones for .75 each!
(2) Light blue and white striped tie-backs for the small upstairs bathroom, from a sheet I bought years ago (for something else) for $1. I had a white Battenburg lace valance that I've used in two houses. Curtain rods for both bathrooms from Big Lots.
(3) Two sets of matching, lined curtains for the loft. All I can tell you is that I used a 50% off coupon at Jo-Ann's for all of the material! They don't have a valance, but I got that effect by sewing a contrasting fabric for the top foot or so of each curtain. I didn't have the right amounts to make the two pairs identical, so I reversed them--stripes on top of stars for one set of curtains, stars on top of stripes for the other. (Wonder if anyone will notice??) These are just simple panels that will be hung with clip-on hooks. I got the black curtain rods and rings at Big Lots for cheap. Very good source for curtain rods.
(4) Ditto the clip-on rings in the kitchen. I also did the same fake valance thing, except I used black and white ticking on the top (which I had to order online--it goes out as fast as it comes in) and black and white toile on the bottom. (Toile 50% off at Hancock). I separated the two with a band of 2 inch grosgrain ribbon and also sewed ribbon down the sides of each panel. I got the black cafe rod for $2 at a yard sale.
I'm a little bit curtained-out just now. However, Mary is coming next week to help me with the curtains for the living room, dining room and bedroom. Total of 4 pairs--at least two of them lined, and maybe all of them lined--and I'm done! I got the plaid LR/DR fabric with a 50% off coupon at Jo-Ann's and ordered the bedroom material online (a closeout, of course). I ordered Rufflette pleating tape to make pencil pleats in the bedroom--thanks again, Polly!
The big thing, for me, is cutting. I really sweat it, and I don't always get it right...whereas Mary will go zapzapzap with the rotary cutter and they will be perfect. So that's what I'm gonna let her do. It's a good thing that the size wasn't too critical on the kitchen curtains. Just as I was beginning to feel good about my rotary cutting skill, I noticed that no two of the four pieces of fabric were the same size. LOLOLOLOL. I just trimmed them up to match and kept sewing!