Click here for recipes!

Click here for the archives!

Return to Forum  

Much needed home repair

June 1 2011 at 3:36 PM
glenda  (Login glendaMO)
Moderators

Response to Are you working on a project? Tell us about it! Here is mine.

We are doing home repair - I use to think home ownership was the only way to go, lately I've decided it's not as important as I once thought. UGH!

Dh is very handy when it comes to working on cars, cooking, fixing something mechanical or even electrical - but he has minimal carpentry skills. Most of what he does have, he learned by helping friends build a large shop with a small restroom and kitchen enclosure. I grew up using a table saw, drill press, saber saw... but never built a building or repaired one. I have learned that the right tools for the job make the job much easier - unfortunately my BIL has most of my Dad's woodworking tools and it's just not worth the fight to borrow them from them. sad.gif

We are currently replacing a good portion of the exterior trim on the house with PVC, so we hopefully never have to do this again. We would not have been able to do this 20 years ago, our relationship has grown! We have more patience with one another than I dreamed. We are SLOW, but we are making progress. Our goal is to get done the windows all done this w/end, then we'll move on to replace the soffitting, door trim and the vent trim. Hopefully by fall, we'll be able to paint all the trim and the house. Dh has also dry walled a few spots in the ceiling. We had a water leak, and also had a few places that were poorly done to begin with. I promised to remove some popcorn ceiling - I'm procrastinating that dirty job, I don't anticipate it being hard, just messy.

It's a growing project, as we discussed it last night, dh mentioned that we should also re do the wood floors, and the kitchen needs redone. I'm all for doing all of it - if I win the lottery!!! Right now I'm wondering where the money is going to come from, for all of it.

Respond to this message   
Responses