Click here for recipes!

Click here for the archives!

Return to Forum  

Planning a trip to Disney--give me all the frugal details, ladies!

June 14 2011 at 4:01 AM
  (Login BethannM)
Moderators

I know some of you have done Disney on a dime (or two anyway). It's been a lot of years since we took the kids, and we didn't have to pay for that trip. My dad took us. Now we've got grandkids those same ages and we want to take them. I'm thinking about a year-and-a-half out, maybe between Thanksgiving and Christmas? I know I don't want to go during a school break, and I don't want to go in the summer.

I mentioned this to our 4-yr-old grandson. He got VERY excited. I didn't know that he would really know what it is, but he watches enough TV. He gets it. On Friday I took him to the grocery store with me. He asked for candy, but I said no. Usually this would have caused him to melt into a complete breakdown with tears and all, but instead he perked up and said, "We have to save money to go see Mickey Mouse, don't we, Nina?!" So, yeah...we're going now for sure!

Then, last night I happened to casually mention it again in the kitchen and Grace, who is 16 now, came UNGLUED. I thought she was just being silly, and then I realized that she was dead serious in her unglued-ness. I said, "You're serious...." She said, "Are you KIDDING ME? I LOVE Disney!" And she continued to dance around the kitchen like she had snakes up her pants. Wow.

Okay, so yeah, we are going! She was only 2 when we went before, so this will be a lot of fun for her to be able to actually ride the rides this time.

I have a huge Ball jar that we've been using to save change for a big screen tv. We bought a decent sized one a Christmas or two ago--32" I think? Maybe it's 35? Somewhere in there. Anyway, I'm going to take the change to the bank and put it toward debt and then start our savings with the big Ball jar in a prominent place. I'm going to ask the moms and dads to pitch in as they can, and we'll save for the next 18 months and then take a really nice trip. I'm looking for all the corners I can possibly cut. Those of you who've done this before--help!

happy.gif

Blessings,

Bethann
Matthew 6:33
http://gettingtheresimply.blogspot.com/

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." --Will Rogers

Respond to this message   
Responses