Click here for recipes!

Click here for the archives!

Return to Forum  

Other FH observations

June 21 2011 at 8:16 AM
MaryH(PA)  (Login MaryHinPA)
The Frugalista Files

Response to which sweet snacks for the family at a funeral home?

Most of the visitations around here are for two days, most typically 2-4 p.m. and 7-9 p.m., followed by the funeral on the third day. That's nice in some ways because the visitors are spread out, but I can tell you from experience that it makes for two VERY long days. Most of the immediate family usually meets at another family member's house for the dinner break.

I only know of one FH in my area that allows food, and that's a relatively new (and very large) building. They have a separate lounge/kitchen area and all food must be kept in that room. Ive been told that it's a state law that no food can be taken into the viewing rooms. Most of the FHs in this area seem to be in older buildings (a lot of them are converted houses with the owners living upstairs) and have very small lounges and simply don't have the space for a kitchen/eating area.

On another funeral-related note, I understand that my area (SW PA) is one of the few areas of the country where people still prefer full couch caskets (where the whole top is one piece rather than being split in two). Ive only been to one funeral with the half-couch casket and that was in Florida.

There's also a local funeral home that has a rather disconcerting display of "caskets from around the world" (yes, that's what the sign says). You have to pass by this display to get to the restrooms. It's very odd and yet fascinating at the same time.

For some reason, I find this kind of odd triva interesting.

Edited to change title of post

This message has been edited by MaryHinPA on Jun 21, 2011 8:17 AM

Respond to this message   
Responses