Have you ever read a book someone else raved aboutSeptember 20 2011 at 4:48 PM
|Tnetter (Login TxNet)|
and found yourself totally turned off by it?
I did a search on this title before posting this just to see if anyone else had ever mentioned it, and it was on a list of books Sandy MI read. I'm curious to know what you thought about it Sandy.
I was at the library last week, and there was another lady (younger than me by at least 15 years) in the section where my favorite books are located. Turns out she was getting a book by the same author. So we started chatting and she told me about another series she just loved because it was so funny. So I checked out the first in the series: Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella.
I didn't find it funny at all. I found the character pathetic, shallow, and just plain stupid. Why? Because she dug herself into debt and then kept digging, and then wanted to be bailed out instead of doing anything about it herself. Unless the book is horrible from the start, I try to give it 50 pages before deciding it's drivel, and I gave this one 57 before closing the book in disgust. Maybe she wised up and started getting her life together on page 58, but if I didn't crack a smile once during 57 pages, I doubt if I would think the rest of the book funny even if I didn't dislike the main character so much.
The road to success is always under construction.
- Oh, yeah - Maxine on Sep 20, 2011, 6:08 PM
- I don't really remember it - Sandy in NJ on Sep 20, 2011, 6:39 PM
- Yes, Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks - Polly on Sep 21, 2011, 12:33 AM
- can't get into "Girl with the dragon tattoo" - sheila on Sep 21, 2011, 6:07 AM
- Sophie Kinsella - Kim on Sep 21, 2011, 7:56 AM
- "The Bridges of Madison County" - Donna on Sep 21, 2011, 9:57 AM
- Several - Beverly on Sep 21, 2011, 10:11 AM
- I reccmmended one for my book club that no one liked - Sandy in NJ on Sep 21, 2011, 11:32 AM
- All the time. - Penny in Florida on Sep 21, 2011, 1:04 PM
- often - Myra on Sep 21, 2011, 1:28 PM