Click here for recipes!

Click here for the archives!

Return to Forum  

Ebay or REI

February 14 2012 at 2:46 PM
PaulaF in CO  (Login PaulaF-in-CO)
The Frugalista Files

Response to LL Bean... quality rant.....

Ebay is where I buy the kids down jackets. Adele has an incredible, down jacket by Columbia that isn't available in stores today. In all fairness, it was $40 on ebay, but worth every dime. I'd try a thrift store. You never know. I got Adele an Obermeyer powder suit for skiing for $6. They are well over $100 new.

After 20 years, we finally got DH a new winter coat that isn't a Carhartt for work from REI. Not cheap. However, it is really nice quality (North Face) and he'll have it for another 20 years. I got my winter jacket (Columbia) at REI about 8 years ago and it still looks new and washes up beautifully. At least if you are an REI member, you get 10% back later. REI has a 20% sale on one item for members in March. Might be worth looking at. I hate being cold, so I guess, this is an area where I think it's worth getting something that you love and that fits and that keeps you warm. There are a lot of nice jackets on ebay for under $100 that cost 200-300 new. I don't think you can go too wrong with Columbia, North Face, or Patagonia.

Thanks for the heads up about LL Bean. I was going to suggest that DH get his jacket from there. I'm so glad that I didn't.

Respond to this message   
Responses