Click here for recipes!

Click here for the archives!

Return to Forum  

looking for fruit suggestions

February 16 2012 at 3:01 PM
  (Login CTMOMto4)
The Frugalista Files

Ladies,
We are all out of fresh fruit, for 9 days at the most, as I plan on doing my end of the month, stock up for the next month Aldi's run on the 25th. The last of my apples went into a Bisquick knobby apple coffee cake. Yum. Now, to encourage fruit in the family's diet for the next week and a 1/2, I have done the following:

-Placed some clean (I always wash cans in hot soapy water before opening)cans of fruit where the fruit bowl normally sits. Want fruit? open a can
-served the last of my commerically jarred apple sauce in mini tupperware containers for school lunches, did the same with some canned peach slices (I also have canned pears, home canned apple sauce, canned pineapple to offer up)
-served oatmeal with choice of dried fruits (prunes, dates, craisins, raisins, peaches, cherries, wild berry mix)
-I'm making one of my prune coffee cakes for bfst, since the oven is on for tonight's casserole and there is room

I am thinking that i could make a fruit cup by blending some of the fruits together, a pear/peach crisp comes to mind as welll. Any other thoughts?

I have the following:

-frozen blueberries, rhubarb, pumpkin
-canned peaches, gingered peaches, pears, pineapple (assorted types), apple sauce, rhubarb sauce 92 types), stewed prunes, pumpkin, butternut (canned squash is used like a fruit)
-dried cherries, peaches, mixed berries, craisins, raisins, prunes, coconut

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

This message has been edited by CTMOMto4 on Feb 16, 2012 3:26 PM

Respond to this message   
Responses