Click here for recipes!

Click here for the archives!

Return to Forum  

Roasted Chicken

March 27 2012 at 7:11 PM
LindaOH  (Login Linda_OH)
The Frugalista Files

Response to Meal ideas (and a mini update)

I am so sorry to hear your news. I am pulling for you and wishing you the best.

I made a roast chicken Friday night and it was the best chicken I have ever had. The chicken cost $6 at full price. I know most people here would wait for a sale but I just bought it.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Rinse the chicken in the sink. Spread salt & pepper around inside the cavity. Take a lemon a roll it on the countertop with the palm of your hand to loosen the juice. Then pierce it several times with the tines of a fork. Put the lemon in the cavity of the chicken. (I think I forgot to mention to take the giblets out of the cavity). Slice an onion (about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick) and place it in the bottom of a roasting pan. (The closer the pan is to the size of the chicken, the more juices you will have in the bottom for gravy.) Place the chicken on the onions and place in the oven. Roast for about 1 hour to 1-1/2 hours and until the quick read thermometer reads 180 degrees in the breast and 190 degrees in the thigh. Remove the chicken from the oven, remove it to a plate or carving board and let it rest covered with foil.

I then make gravy in the roasting pan on the stove top. The gravy might be too much for your husband though.

He can also bake potatoes while the chicken is roasting.

Add a salad and you have a meal for four for less than $10. I know all of you can make less expensive meals but this is easy and yummy.

Also, pulled pork. Put one can of Coke or Pepsi in a large crockpot and add a picnic ham (shoulder) and cook overnight on low. In the morning, take the pork out, shred it, disposing of the fat. Put the meat back in the crockpot and stir in a bottle of your favorite barbeque sauce and keep on low until ready to serve. It makes a lot but you can freeze it and serve it another time. I think this recipe is Lisa in NC's. It is good and easy.

This message has been edited by Linda_OH on Mar 27, 2012 7:14 PM

Respond to this message