Click here for recipes!

Click here for the archives!

Return to Forum  

My big boast

June 29 2012 at 5:32 AM
BethannM  (Login BethannM)
Moderators

This may not seem like a big deal to anyone else, but I am SO PROUD of us for this. I think I've mentioned it before, but Ima gonna say it again.

We are nursing our pool liner this season. I know, I know, a pool is a luxury anyway, so don't tell me about your pool, etc. But those of you with a pool will understand! The inside sidewall of the pool that gets the southern sunshine (so the north side of the pool) has really taken a beating. This is our 7th season, and the liner that is above the water line on that half of the pool is dry-rotting. You can see the stress in the vinyl, and it FEELS different. It just keeps tearing. We also found a huge hole in the bottom of the pool where a patio chair had been blown in a couple of springs ago and had scraped at the bottom of the pool, weakening it.

My husband has been just patching, patching, patching as necessary. Got the hole in the bottom all fixed up yesterday. As new stress lines give way and create a new "slice" of a hole above the water line on that south-facing liner, he just adds a new patch. We are setting aside money each month so that next spring, we can get on the list for an early replacement and just pay cash for it.

This may seem like a no brainer to the rest of you, but this is exactly the type of thing that we would ordinarily pull from savings or even use a credit card for. Instead, we are making it last one more year so that we can save and pay planned-for cash.

There are many more things in my life that I need to fix and do this way, I am aware, but this is proof to me that we can do it and that hubby and I are finally on the same page about waiting for certain purchases anyway. It is also sending an important message to my kids. They have asked why we didn't just get a new liner this year. We've been able to say, "Because we knew we could make this one last one more season, which gives us the ability to save for that big purchase." Good lesson!

Yay, us! Now, about that power washer that took a dump...or the rototiller...or the farm tractor........ happy.gif

Blessings,

Bethann
Matthew 6:33
http://gettingtheresimply.blogspot.com/

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." --Will Rogers

Respond to this message   
Responses