Click here for recipes!

Click here for the archives!

Return to Forum  

We bought a new car this year

July 11 2012 at 6:21 AM
patsy  (Login patsy147)
The Frugalista Files

Not frugal by any means no matter what the car. This time, I let DH do the whole car shopping routine and he ordered the new Chevy Volt. It is the MOST amazing car ever! It's like driving in the future. It seats 4 so wouldn't suit a lot of folks but there's tons of cargo space and the back bucket seats fold flat for when we go to the lumber yard or other such places. We get a huge rebate because it's a 'green' vehicle and special plates that allow us to drive in high volume lanes with just one person.

But the most important feature to all of us is the cost of fuel. In two weeks I've used 2 litres only! That's the equivalent of .9litres per 100 kilometres. My daughter's Honda civic gets 7.5 litres per 100 kilometres.

And the battery life is great on the car as well. We can drive quite a way before it automatically kicks over to the gas engine. And we can set a feature on the car to draw electric power to refuel it's battery at the lowest point in the night. But we figured it's the same as drawing power like your dryer so it isn't too bad at all.

For those that might be thinking of buying a car in the next year or two either new or used, this one is impressive.

Respond to this message   
Responses