Click here for recipes!

Click here for the archives!

Respond to this messageReturn to Forum
Original Message
  • Messy kids....
    • sheila (Login SheilaPCT)
      The Frugalista Files
      Posted Jul 22, 2011 2:53 AM

I was gonna add this onto the "since we're asking questions" thread but decided to start a new one...

My middle son (almost 10 years old) has always been a slob.... Really... since he was very little. I have tried to work hard with him to teach him to be neat... all the tricks I used with my oldest son don't work with this one. Now my 5 1/2 year old daughter is following the same.... Now that the oldest is a teen and lives with his slob of a father, he is a slob too. I don't know if DD is a slob because she sees DS2 doing it and getting away with it or what... I think a lot of it got out of hand when I moved into my little apartment 18 months ago. DS2 had no closet.... DD and I shared a room. I was working full time and it was kind of crazy... I admit I let a LOT of stuff go. I kept the place "clean" and tried to pick up but it was far from neat. also know it was temporary kind of made me able to let things slide. Well now here we are int he new house and I really, really want it neat.... but there are boxes every where and the kids have very few places to keep stuff and they are... just slobs! It's making me CRAZY...... but I can't even blame them. Other than their clothing they don't really have enough places to put things away... I'm trying to come up with ideas...

Both of them seem to be into toys with lots of little parts.. he is into the little legos and wants each type of set kept seperate... but he has all kinds of other toys too. And he says he loves them ALL. Both my kids hate to part with anything. She has dress up stuff, tons of crafts stuff, My little pony, Barbies, a doll house and furniture.... ugh..... Add to all this the general mess of boxes, and it's kind of like a moving truck exploded around here. I am glad I am off... I at least have the time. I am activly unpacking, but still there are always boxes around... I empty them and bring up more....

I'm thinking for DS of taking the dresser out of his closet and just building shelves in there, floor to ceiling... that would go a long way and getting each of them one of those bin holders from Target, you know the kind that has the 9 cubbies and you get the fabric bins for? I think that would help especially if I label the bins as to what goes in there... I'm also thinking some wall shelves....

We don't have an accesable attic to use for toy rotation and the basement is getting turned into a finished space so no storing stuff down there...

But this is gonna require a LOT of effort to get them on track and keep it that way...

Anyone else gone from Chaos to Order with their kids stuff?? Any advice? Thanks!
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options