Click here for recipes!

Click here for the archives!

Respond to this messageReturn to Forum
Original Message
  • That's true.
    • (Premier Login MaxineS)
      Forum Owner
      Posted Apr 11, 2012 8:54 PM

That's why Mary and I went to Graceland! We also stayed at the Heartbreak Hotel, which--as you might guess--is down at the end of Lonely Street. We also had so much fun at BB King's blues club, on Beale Street, that we went two nights running!

If you go to Nashville, be sure to go to the Grand Ole Opry. (Bev and Tam will dispute this, but familiarity breeds contempt, LOL). We aren't country fans, but it was a cultural experience and a GREAT concert at a good price. We saw the late Porter Waggoner, Little Jimmy Dickens (he's still alive!), Diamond Rio, Brad Paisley and Emmylou Harris, all on the same show. We scheduled our trip to be there on Saturday night and to attend the show that is actually broadcast live. However, they have two shows on Saturday, and one mid-week.

Other things to see in the Nashville area: The Hermitage, home of President Andrew Jackson, and Stone's Mountain Civil War battlefield. There are a LOT of Civil War sites in Tennessee. We didn't go to the Hermitage, but we enjoyed Stone's Mountain. Later we visited the Shiloh National Cemetery and laid flowers on the grave of Mary's great-great uncle, who is buried there. We ate at a boarding house in Nashville and were seated with Oprah's father and two cousins. Oh, yeah, we had dinner the next night with Beverly and Tammy.

Our trip actually started in Nashville, went west to Memphis, turned east across southern Tennessee to Shiloh, then NE to Lynchburg, home of the Jack Daniels Distillery. You will have to stay at a B&B in Lynchburg, because that's all there is. We ate at Miss Mary Bobo's Boarding House.

From there, we continued NE, then east to Great Smokies National Park. We didn't do any of the touristy stuff in Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg, etc., but just enjoyed the park. We stayed in a very reasonably priced cabin near Cosby TN:http://www.serenityfallscabins.com/cabinrentals.html We had the General Store cabin--it's the original general store from old Cosby. Very nice quilt shop in Cosby called Holloway's. Mary says you'll like it!

On our last day, we drove back to Nashville through Knoxville to catch afternoon flights.

I would recommend any or all of the above for a nice vacation. We had a blast! In the cabin, we bought food and did our own cooking. Otherwise, we only had a soft-sided cooler that I brought with me on the plane. Send out for pizza for a quick, cheap dinner.

If your husband has allergies, ask LOTS of questions about pets, smoking rules, etc., whether you are staying in a B&B or a motel. Even if a B&B doesn't accept pets, they might have their own--Nashville was where we encountered the cat that rang a bell to go outside. The only two nights we spent in hotels were in Memphis (Heartbreak Hotel and the Peabody--the one with ducks in the lobby), otherwise we stayed in B&Bs (Memphis and Lynchburg) and the cabin in the Smokies.
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Your Email
    (Optional)
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options Also send responses to my email address