Click here for recipes!

Click here for the archives!

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Coldcuts - how many sandwiches per lb of meat?

April 16 2008 at 11:20 AM
LisaCNC  (Login Straitlover)
The Frugalista Files

We are gearing up for our big Operation Inasmuch event at church Saturday. I'm trying to decide how much sandwich meat to buy (turkey, ham and maybe a little bologna). I was guessing we could get 6 sandwiches from 1 lb. Does that sound good, or is that too much meat on a sandwich? We're talking about 110 adults (maybe 10 are growing youth guys who will be working outside) and 25 kids (ages 2 through 6th grade). We're gonna make a few PB&Js, too. We will alao having cheese, lettuce and tomato for the meat sandwiches, too. We will be making the sandwiches up ahead of time (just the bread and meat) to control the amount of meat, too. I'm thinking one sandwich per person plus maybe 20 extra for the guys and youth working on the heavy projects (yardwork, building a handrail on a deck, installing a drywall ceiling).

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Maxine
(Premier Login MaxineS)
Forum Owner

I actually know the answer to this one!

April 16 2008, 12:02 PM 

I used to be "the food diva" of Special Olympics and have been in charge of many big sack lunches. You can get 5-6 sandwiches per pound of sliced meat. Six should be no problem if they have cheese, too. We used to make the sandwiches without any condiments and put a mustard and mayo packet in each lunch. If these aren't sack lunches, have a table with squeeze bottles of condiments so people can use what they like. I can tell you that a LOT of people do not like mayo slopped all over the bread! (Hey, I'm one of 'em!).

We used to either make one sandwich per person, or one hamburger or two hotdogs if we were barbecuing. We bought chips in large bags and portioned them out--much cheaper than the individual bags. We also provided 3 small cookies and fruit--either 1 small banana or 1/2 orange per person, quartered. When we quartered the oranges, we found that they ate less than one orange per person. We also provided cans of soda pop, and made sure some were diet. We usually bought store brands on sale.

Respond to this message   

(Premier Login MaxineS)
Forum Owner

Forgot to add...

April 16 2008, 12:23 PM 

When you buy the meat, have the clerk weigh out enough for one sandwich (16.66 lb. if 6 per pound, .20 if 5 per pound) and package it separately. Then you can show your workers how much meat to put in each sandwich. Also, if 6 per pound looks skimpy, you can buy enough meat to make them 5 per pound.

Respond to this message   
LisaCNC
(Login Straitlover)
The Frugalista Files

I think we're going w/ the prepackaged stuff

April 16 2008, 1:28 PM 

The thin sliced deli ham already packaged at Sam's Club is $3.58/lb. The Land o' Lakes (or is it Land 'o Frost??? It's the one in the beige pack that is 16 oz, not the blue one that is only 12 oz) thin sliced turkey at Food Lion is $3.99/lb. I have not checked Super Walmart yet. I have to go to a funeral at a place across the street from the one in Clayton tomorrow, so I am going to check them out to see if prices are any better. Sometimes the ham in WalMart's deli is 2.99/lb. No one else has has anything on sale this week for any better prices. And we are also checking the prices at BJ's tomorrow.

We are doing about 40 bag lunches; the rest will be served at the church. Sam's has those little 1 oz bags of chips 50 for less than $10, so I think we're gonna go w/ those for time's sake. I had bought some of those 12pks of cookies (Chips Ahoy, Nutter Butter, etc, 4 cookies in a pack) at the store when they were B1G1F (used the other box for another project, and someone donated another box plus a 16-pk of Rice Krispie treats, so that covers the bag lunches. For the onsite people, we're doing the store brand duplex cookies (1.99 for a 2 lb pack), and Kroger has Little Debbies on sale for 88 cents, so we will grab a few of things that are single serve (oatmeal pies, etc). Bag luch fruit is apples and oranges from Sam's (cheaper than cups), mixed bag is 4.86 for 10 pieces/5 lbs; onsite will be the big whopper cans of fruit salad (4.48 for 24 svgs) and applesauce (2.78 for 24 svgs).

Edit: I may bring my little digital scale to the church for them to use to see how much meat for a sandwich. Or I think the package says how many slices are in one oz, doesn't it???

For beverages, I think we are just doing tea, lemonade (Country Time, someone donated a big can of powder), koolaid and water. And we'll probably have OJ leftover from breakfast (we're doing a quick breakfast, too!). I do have coupon for a free 2-ltr of Diet 7-up that I'm donating to the cause . And we will make some unsweet tea.

Respond to this message   

richinny
(Login richinny)
The Frugalista Files

make life easy....

April 16 2008, 2:47 PM 

figure out how many slices of each per sandwich. some meats/cheese get sliced thinner than others. don't let them slice the stuff so thin that it falls apart when handling. i think the packaged stuff will give a calories per serving and an estimate of servings.

p.s. don't let the deli wrap a big pile of meat in one package as it gets hard to seperate. i LOVE the machines that automatically stack the slices so nice and neat!

Respond to this message   

(Login BethannM)
Moderators

Contact local companies!

April 17 2008, 4:18 AM 

Call Subway and ask about them donating pop or bags of chips. Ask McDonalds and other fast food restaurants for packets of condiments. Ask Taco Bell for lettuce. It doesn't take that long to make the calls, and in my experience, most of them like to help. Subway donated cases of pop, and sandwiches and chips to the band once a year. In the future, keep in mind that at the beginning of the month, WalMart has $30 gift cards to give away to not-for-profits. They go quickly, and they only will give to your organization once or twice a year. But you can buy a lot of bread for that.

Which reminds me...we have a factory bakery that makes McDonald's hamburger buns nearby. They will donate as many buns as we tell them we need. So check those kind of avenues for your bread for your sandwiches!

Blessings,

Bethann
Matthew 6:33

Respond to this message   

(Login BethannM)
Moderators

Oh, and...!

April 17 2008, 4:21 AM 

A local grocery store always donates lunch meat for a hoagie sale for the band. It takes a few months to get it all worked out because of having to go through corporate, so they need a good head start. Actually, that store has been bought out by a major national chain, so that may change now...but anyway, it's always worth asking! This may not help you much this year, but maybe you can keep some of it in mind for future years!

Blessings,

Bethann
Matthew 6:33

Respond to this message   
LisaCNC
(Login Straitlover)
The Frugalista Files

There was someone that was in charge of asking for co donations

April 17 2008, 6:52 AM 

Someone fell down on the job, let's just say! She just contacted businesses this week, so I told her just to stick to asking for stuff for the breakfast, mainly biscuits, donuts and bagels. I'm not counting on getting anything at this late date, so if we do it will be extra, and we can always take any extras down to the feeding the homeless project.

Breakfast is going to be real sinple and quick. It's main purpose is to get people here on time and to get them motivated. It's just biscuits, donuts or danish, muffins, fruit (same fruit salad we are having at lunch, cheaper and easier than whole or cut fruit), coffee and juice.

Respond to this message   
Tammy L
(Login TammyL)
Moderators

When we help cater

April 17 2008, 5:17 AM 

for our bbq friend, we allow 4 people per pound for bbq, beans, slaw and potato salad. This takes into account that some people will have more than one serving.

You should be able to get 5-6 sandwiches out of a pound of lunch meat. I'd have some extra sandwiches though. Some men (my husband included) would not be full on one sandwich especially if they are doing physical work.

Tammy

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Coldcuts - how many sandwiches per lb of meat?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum