Click here for recipes!

Click here for the archives!

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Shorten a tie?

November 19 2010 at 5:22 PM
Stacey  (Login Stacey_K)
The Frugalista Files

How? I have to wear a tie at work (men's tie) and it is way too long. If I tie it so both ends hang at the same length, it's still inches below my belt. I had thought I could cut it to shorten it... I managed to turn the entire thing inside out tonight - I so should not have done that! Then I realized that doesn't do me any good cause I don't know how to sew a tube so I can still turn it back the right way... I turned it back right side out with a bit of a struggle. happy.gif Google is not helping me much, other than people saying to take it to a tailor.

can you just cut it to take about 6 inches out and sew the ends back together? I wouldn't have the 'tube' if I did that, and I'll end up with an unsightly seam, so I have to figure out where to cut it... Suggestions?

These are some of the not so useful suggestions I found on the internet... Although the latter might work.

# Slip the tail end inside your shirt. Once youve got the front blade where you want it, slip the longer tail end between your shirt buttons.
# Tuck it in. Tuck the skinny end or both ends into your waistband.
# Join the army. Tuck the whole tie, military style, between your second and third shirt buttons.
# Hide it. Hide the offending piece of silk under a sweater.
# Wear a three-piece suit. The vest conceals as it lifts part of the tie up and away.
# Clip on a tie bar. These are great for some artful rumple and lift.
# Fold the tail up into the holder on the back. Then secure it with a safety pin (or a paperclip, in a pinch) if needed.

This message has been edited by Stacey_K on Nov 19, 2010 5:30 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login glendaMO)
Moderators

Would it be easier to

November 19 2010, 5:38 PM 

grow a few inches taller? LOL!

Sorry I am of no help at all, but my 'thinking outside of the box' drew a complete blank unless you could grow taller. I don't have any suggestions for foods that would help you get taller though, and I don't think platform shoes would be of any benefit. happy.gif I have never tried to shorten a tie.

Respond to this message   
Tnetter
(Login TxNet)

If the tube is important to you, I can't think of anything

November 19 2010, 5:55 PM 

But if you don't care about the tube....

I would cut them the length you want near the seam in the middle (leave 1/4" for seam). Then, fold only the wider end under 1/4", iron it with a damp cloth over it to crease the seam and the cloth will also not cause the tie to be shiny in that spot. Then slide the tube over the straight part of the narrower end and slip stitch it in place. No bulky seam, no unsightly stitches.

------
Well, I can't believe the stuff that is not I Can't Believe It's Not Butter is not I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, and I can't believe that both I Can't Believe It's Not Butter and the stuff that I can't believe is not I Can't Believe It's Not Butter are both, in fact, not butter. - Alice

Respond to this message   
Stacey
(Login Stacey_K)
The Frugalista Files

Hey thanks!

November 19 2010, 7:05 PM 

That sounds like a good plan! I think I will go to the thrift store and pick up a cheap tie to practice on before cutting this $60 tie.

Respond to this message   
Tnetter
(Login TxNet)

Good idea

November 19 2010, 7:08 PM 

That's an expensive tie!

------
Well, I can't believe the stuff that is not I Can't Believe It's Not Butter is not I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, and I can't believe that both I Can't Believe It's Not Butter and the stuff that I can't believe is not I Can't Believe It's Not Butter are both, in fact, not butter. - Alice

Respond to this message   
Maxine
(Premier Login MaxineS)
Forum Owner

I think it is awful...

November 20 2010, 8:31 AM 

...that you have to dress like a man to have what has traditionally been a man's job. Especially when there is no safety or vocational reason for that clothing. (I'd understand steel-toed boots for a female ironworker). Maybe it isn't worth the effort, but I'd go to bat for changes to the uniform. You know there is NO earthly reason why ANY pilot, male or female, needs to wear a necktie! Female pilots should be allowed to wear a necktie, or a modified tie (bow?) made from the same fabric, or no tie at all (could wear same fabric in pocket of jacket).

In response to your question, unless I knew what I was doing, I wouldn't mess with a new $60 necktie. I'd take it to a tailor, and then I would take VERY good care of it.

Respond to this message   
Stacey
(Login Stacey_K)
The Frugalista Files

It is a man's world

November 20 2010, 9:37 AM 

The number I keep hearing is only 6% of commercial pilots are female. Even the airline I worked at had the gals either wear the men's uniform items or the flight attendants! What a choice that is.

As for the tie, it is pretty common in corporate aviation (and commercial, if you think about it) to wear a suit and tie. There are some flights we can dress casual on - the empty ones. happy.gif We gals were wearing cross-ties up until about two weeks ago, and then got switched to normal neckties. For some reason every-bodies ties have to match. And do you have any idea how hard it is to find a women's shirt that buttons all the way up and has a normal collar and normal cuffs and sleeve lengths? Foxcroft makes white ones that fit the bill, but for the blue we have mens shirts that have been altered six different ways to make them fit as best we can.

Respond to this message   
LisaCNC
(Login Straitlover)
The Frugalista Files

Is it a plain black tie?

November 20 2010, 2:22 PM 

If so, could you just look in the stores for a matching young man's size? I would think those are shorter.

Respond to this message   

(Premier Login MaxineS)
Forum Owner

This isn't a bad idea to determine size

November 20 2010, 4:12 PM 

If you could find a tie that fit you perfectly--and a youth's tie just might do it--you could unstitch both ties and use the smaller one to re-cut the bigger one to fit. Back in the hippie days, it was all the rage to make neckties (I restrained myself). I do know someone who made her husband lots of ties, and it was mainly hand work. The vertical seam up the back of the tie was always sewn by hand. If you learned how to do this, you could probably create a side business of altering ties for other female pilots, LOL.

Respond to this message   

richinny
(Login richinny)
The Frugalista Files

i used to....

November 21 2010, 5:53 AM 

just tuck the end into my shirt or double it up in the back holder.

you could wear a cervical collar to take up the slack wink.gif

sorry, you're suffering the bad side of equality. maybe if more women had to wear them we could get rid of the stupid things! maybe you could wash it to shrink it? i'd try this on an old one first! ask what the short guy pilots are doing or ask the company what the "COMPANY STANDARD is. lol

is this tie from a companies uniform store?

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Shorten a tie?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum