Click here for recipes!

Click here for the archives!

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Will a queen size mattress fit in a minivan?

January 26 2011 at 6:59 PM
Maxine  (Premier Login MaxineS)
Forum Owner

In the next couple of weeks, we are going to start moving stuff up to the cabin. Does anyone know if a queen size mattress will fit inside a minivan with all of the back seats removed? I've thought of a couple of ways to measure this, but--because of placing the mattress on an angle and the thickness of the mattress--they all involve more effort than just a tape measure. So I thought I'd ask here first! We also have a short bed pickup, but I WON'T use it to move a queen...did this when my son moved and darn near lost the thing out of the back. Plus this is a rotten time of year to move anything in an open pickup that can get dirty.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Kim
(Login KimAB)
The Frugalista Files

Dh says yes

January 26 2011, 8:01 PM 

but you have to squish it. The box spring does NOT fit- he knows because he tried... and tried...

Respond to this message   

(Login stina716)
The Frugalista Files

measuring the interior doesn't matter anyway.

January 27 2011, 11:55 AM 

you've got to measure the doorways that you're trying to shove it through. some hatchbacks are smaller thatn the interior they lesd to!

Respond to this message   
mj
(Login mom24dgs)
The Frugalista Files

do you already own the mattress?

January 28 2011, 6:00 PM 

A friend mentioned that she had ordered one from costco for her family cabin and even though its in a remote location, the delivery truck found them and they were very glad of that.

Respond to this message   

(Login glendaMO)
Moderators

Tarps

January 28 2011, 6:23 PM 

When we've moved things like mattress in the truck, we've always wrapped them in tarp, and strapped them in well.

Respond to this message   

(Premier Login MaxineS)
Forum Owner

How big was the truck bed? And how big the mattress?

January 28 2011, 6:44 PM 

I know we can buy mattress bags at U-Haul--our tarps always blow off, LOL. (No, I wasn't LOL at the time, but every disaster is funny later). We have a short bed pickup that can be extended to about 8 ft. It's long enough for a queen size mattress, but not wide enough. I can bend the mattress and haul it in the van, but I'm not sure about the box springs. How would you load it? We stood both mattress and springs on their sides and packed stuff around it the last time DS moved. They caught the wind and darn near blew out of the truck on the freeway. This despite being tied down. Any ideas? I also have a Yakima rack on the van. Wonder if we could put the box springs on top and tie it down???

Respond to this message   

(Login glendaMO)
Moderators

We've only moved 30 miles or so

January 28 2011, 8:31 PM 

on their edge, in the truck, with other stuff packed in, similar to what you said. If it is windy, and it always is when we move, don't take the interstate, take a back road so you can comfortably go slowly.

Respond to this message   
Myra
(Login conchokitty)
The Frugalista Files

only if you go slowwwww

January 29 2011, 3:32 AM 

it is amazing how much wind things like that catch and no matter how well you think you crammed it in the truck bed or tied it on.... whoosh and off it goes..

rent a trailer? would not be having to pull a lot but would be easier by far and safer.

Myra in West Texas

Respond to this message   
Sandy in MI
(Login SandyinMI)
The Frugalista Files

rent?

January 29 2011, 9:33 AM 

The Home Depot delivery trucks used to say something like "rent me for $20". I don't know if they still do. If your destination isn't far, that may be a good idea. We brought a big sofa home in our minivan once and even though it was bungeed and tarped really well, or so we thought, it still moved around and got a little dirty. And we only moved it a few miles and went at a snail's pace.

Respond to this message   
Missy
(Login missyintx)
The Frugalista Files

And dont use

January 29 2011, 11:13 AM 

ropes or bungee cords. Spring for the ratchet straps and strap them side to side and front to back. We bought a mattress at Sams and brought it 90 miles at 70mph with no problems.

Ratchet straps rule.

Missy

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Will a queen size mattress fit in a minivan?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum