Click here for recipes!

Click here for the archives!

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Try any new GOOD recipes lately?

July 17 2011 at 12:47 PM
LindaOH  (Login Linda_OH)
The Frugalista Files

I made this recipe years ago but forgot about it. Now my family loves this frosting on red velvet cupcakes. I also use it to fill them.

You might want to go to their website (ourbestbites.com) for pictures and a tutorial (I guess that is what you would call it). They also tell on the website how to make it chocolate. My cooked mixture isn't lumpy like their's but I take it off the heat as soon as it starts to thicken. Then I wisk it, put it back on the heat to thicken some more... back and forth until just right.

Perfect Cupcake Frosting and Filling
recipe by ourbestbites.com

3 T Flour
1/2 C milk (whole milk is best, but I used non-fat when it's all I have and it's actually fine)
1/2 C real butter
1/2 C sugar (that's granulated sugar, not powdered sugar)
1 t vanilla extract, or other flavor if you wish.

Whisk together the flour and the milk. Heat in a small sauce pan on medium heat. Whisk continuously until it starts to thicken. I think this is the critical point for any of you who have had problems with this recipe. I have a feeling people are under-cooking this part. Let it cook, while stirring, until it looks like pudding (you should be able to see the bottom of the pan when you stir it). Even though it's thick, you can still it through a mesh strainer (just whisk the mixture in the strainer to push the thick stuff through) and then let it cool completely to room temp. or chill it in the fridge. It needs to be cooled completely. If you don't let it cool completely, it will melt the butter and you'll have runny frosting.

It an electric stand mixer, beat the butter and the sugar for a minute or two until well combined and fluffy. You'll want to use the whisk attachment on a stand mixer, not the flat paddle. Then while beating, add in the thickened milk mixture and the vanilla. Beat on the highest speed you can get to without it spraying all over the place for 7 minutes. Yes, 7 whole minutes, maybe even 8 or 9. I know that seems like a long time, but that's when the magic happens!

You will be scared because it will look like a weird goopy mess at first and you'll wonder what on earth you did wrong. Keep beating and something amazing happens. It goes from that goopy mess to something thick, velvety smooth, and perfectly fluffy.
Use it to fill cupcakes or other pastries, or as a frosting on top. You can't go wrong putting this on just about anything happy.gif

One batch makes enough to frost 12 cupcakes .

After trouble-shooting with a lot of people, here are some helpful Notes:

1. Use real butter, and a good name-brand. Cheap butter does weird things.

2. If you beat for the 6-8 minutes and the mixture still looks strange, beat longer and at a higher speed if you can. It should come together, but it takes a little patience!

3. Store at room temperature in a sealed container. Frosting may separate in the fridge, but you can store it overnight if left at room temp and in a well sealed container.

This message has been edited by Linda_OH on Jul 17, 2011 12:48 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
pbinny
(Login momtoelibet)
The Frugalista Files

brocoli salad

July 17 2011, 1:50 PM 

Ingredients

1 head fresh broccoli, cut into bite size pieces
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup red onion, chopped
2 tablespoons white sugar
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup sunflower seeds
10 slices bacon

Directions

Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Crumble and set aside.
In a salad bowl, toss together broccoli, raisins and red onions. In a separate bowl, whisk together the white sugar, vinegar and mayonnaise. Pour over broccoli mixture and toss to coat. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Before serving, sprinkle with sunflower seeds and crumbled bacon. Toss and serve.

Respond to this message   
Stacey
(Login Stacey_K)
The Frugalista Files

Chicken Breast

July 17 2011, 1:55 PM 

Not an official recipe... I buy frozen chicken breasts. Easy to cook for one person. I was getting bored of plain chicken breast so the one I did last night I doused with lemon juice, Mikulik sausage seasoning, and apricot jam. It came out quite tasty!

Respond to this message   
Sandy in MI
(Login SandyinMI)
The Frugalista Files

tried an oven recipe in the microwave

July 17 2011, 3:49 PM 

Actually, my mother in law did. Today she made the crustless quiche recipe from the TWG in the microwave at 80% power for about 10 minutes, instead of baking it for 30 minutes at 350. I wouldn't have thought to try that, but it worked fine. She looked at an old microwave cookbook for a cooking guideline. Somehow the texture was a bit softer and there wasn't as much of a crust on the bottom as there usually is so maybe the flour stayed suspended in the egg mixture more because of the lesser cooking time. It sure beats heating up the oven in the summertime though.

Respond to this message   
patsy
(Login patsy147)
The Frugalista Files

strawberry pie!

July 17 2011, 7:50 PM 

yummy

Respond to this message   
PaulaF in CO
(Login PaulaF-in-CO)
The Frugalista Files

Ham and Potato Soup

July 20 2011, 8:10 PM 

Not very summer-like, but I had some diced ham in the freezer and some potatoes that I needed to cook. YUM! We loved this recipe.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/delicious-ham-and-potato-soup/detail.aspx

Respond to this message   

sheila
(Login SheilaPCT)
The Frugalista Files

thinking along those lines myself....

July 24 2011, 7:09 PM 

I have all the makings for pea soup- one of DS2s favorite dinners... so I will make it when he comes home from scout camp in a week.

Respond to this message   
mj
(Login mom24dgs)
The Frugalista Files

chicken/corn/blackbeans/salsa in crockpot

July 22 2011, 7:23 AM 

Usually just put chicken breast in cp with taco seasoning and water. This time made it heartier with a can of drained corn, drained/rinsed black beans, 24oz salsa. High for 4 hours and low for another hour, shredded the chicken right in the cp before scooping into tortillas.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Try any new GOOD recipes lately?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum