Click here for recipes!

Click here for the archives!

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

How do I get chocolate out of a blue & white shirt?

July 29 2011 at 6:23 PM
Tnetter  (Login TxNet)

I've tried Shout, Orvus, and Liquid Tide. The stain is faded but still there.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Maxine
(Premier Login MaxineS)
Forum Owner

Do you have Biz?

July 29 2011, 6:25 PM 

Let it soak overnight in Biz, which removes organic stains. If there is any remaining stain in the morning, rub a little liquid detergent over the spot when you re-wash. I hope you haven't dried it in the dryer--you will have set the stain. Although Biz sometimes works on set-in stains....

Respond to this message   
Tnetter
(Login TxNet)

I thought I did, but I couldn't find it.

July 29 2011, 7:20 PM 

I'll get some tomorrow though. Thanks.

------

Respond to this message   

(Login CTMOMto4)
The Frugalista Files

chocolate stain

July 29 2011, 7:57 PM 

Zout, and let it dry in the sun-a natural bleacher.

Respond to this message   
Tnetter
(Login TxNet)

What is zout?

July 30 2011, 7:59 AM 

I did find my Biz last night and soaked it overnight, but the stain is still there.

------

Respond to this message   

(Login Miranda_MO)
The Frugalista Files

Like Shout, but much better (imo)--look for the red spray bottle

July 31 2011, 7:18 PM 

I LOVE Zout and have since someone (Ali??) here posted about it! My son got chocolate all down the front of his white shirt yesterday (HOW do kids get so messy eating a chocolate chip cookie?), and I put Zout on it last eve. I left it overnight and washed a load of his clothes today. The chocolate is all gone. Zout also easily gets lipstick off my cloth napkins.

Respond to this message   

(Login stina716)
The Frugalista Files

Zout, Fels Naptha, and Wisk are my go-to pre-treaters

August 1 2011, 7:44 AM 

Zout for anything organic. FelsNaptha for anything, but especially grease. Wisk for ring around the collar.

I've found the key is water and TIME. Rub in the pretreater so it's soaked through to every fiber. let sit an hour or two then place in water for DAYS - this is easy if you're forgetfull like me!!

If i had to pick only one to live with for all eternity - it'd be Zout. That stuff got 4 yo spit up stains out of baby clothes!!

Respond to this message   
Maxine
(Premier Login MaxineS)
Forum Owner

Adventures in stain removal: blood and chocolate

July 30 2011, 10:11 AM 

Yesterday DD wiped up chocolate ice cream with a dry dish towel. A few hours later, I soaked the towel overnight in Biz as part of an extra-grimy load, then washed as usual this morning. The stain was lighter, but it did NOT come out. (I don't think I would have had a problem if the towel had been wet, but for cryin' out loud...we got rags here!).

This morning I discovered that a pair of DD's shorts, which had been in the hamper for 4-5 days, had a spot of dried blood on the crotch. I didn't have much hope, but decided to soak them in cold water. While the water was running, I put the spot under the stream of water and discovered that it was lightening. Then I spotted a bar of Mexican laundry soap (similar to Fels Naptha or homemade lye soap), rubbed it on the spot, scrubbed back and forth, and let it soak for a few minutes. I saw so much improvement that I did it again, and this time the spot came OUT. I washed as usual in cold water and the stain is completely gone.

Now if I could just discover how to get tea stains out of my dish towels. (Naturally, DD used the only one that didn't have tea stains). Chlorine bleach does not work. Hey, that must be why people call them TEA TOWELS, right?

This message has been edited by MaxineS on Jul 30, 2011 10:11 AM

Respond to this message   
Tnetter
(Login TxNet)

Where do you get Mexican soap up there?

July 30 2011, 10:51 AM 

I can probably get some at the Mexican market here. (So I guess I was wrong, there are actually 3 grocery stores in town, but I don't shop at this one.)

------

Respond to this message   
Maxine
(Premier Login MaxineS)
Forum Owner

Bought a couple of bars of Zote...

July 30 2011, 3:41 PM 

...the last time I was in Tijuana. Long time ago. But I know you can get it in parts of U.S. closer to Mexican border.

Respond to this message   
Tnetter
(Login TxNet)

I used to see it here all the time.

July 30 2011, 6:44 PM 

I looked today and the grocery store didn't have any bar soap in the laundry aisle.

------

Respond to this message   
Maxine
(Premier Login MaxineS)
Forum Owner

Further adventures with Zote

July 31 2011, 8:20 AM 

The two stain removal threads have me on a roll....

I had a spot of nasty stuff (I forget what) on a cotton polo. It didn't come out in the overnight soak. I went to work on it with Zote and washed it again and there is just the tiniest spot left. I wouldn't wear this shirt to meet the Queen, but I would wear it to the grocery store. It's OK.

I don't want anyone to think Zote is a miracle and they have to go to Mexico to buy some. (Not that I object to anyone going to Mexico--just take me with you!). I think Fels Naphtha or homemade lye soap would work as well. Keep your eyes open at farmers' markets and craft fairs for homemade soap. Used to scrub laundry spots, one bar will last for years (which is how long I've had the Zote).

Respond to this message   
Tnetter
(Login TxNet)

Is it a pink bar of soap?

July 31 2011, 9:30 AM 

I think that was the color of something I had one time.

------

Respond to this message   
Maxine
(Premier Login MaxineS)
Forum Owner

No, it looks like a cross between...

July 31 2011, 1:02 PM 

Fels Naphtha and lye soap...doesn't smell like either one, though.

Respond to this message   

(Login CTMOMto4)
The Frugalista Files

Peroxide for blood stains

July 30 2011, 1:51 PM 

Pour a bit of peroxide onto a blood stain and watch it fizz and lighten/remove the stain like magic. I keep a quart bottle from Dollar tree on my washer just for that purpose. Works great!

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - How do I get chocolate out of a blue & white shirt?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum