The Frugalista Files

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Kim
(Login KimAB)
The Frugalista Files

I'm on the fence about that...

December 18 2011, 8:34 AM 

On one hand I work with a lot of foreign workers who live pretty much like that. They aren't working for free, but sending all their money home to Africa. If you do group home work and have contracted nights it is pretty easy to be homeless. Or 'homeless' if you prefer. Another of my co-workers did that while he was in school and had a gym membership so he could shower. Personally I would have had a pool membership so I could shower and use the hot tub...

The article raised a lot more questions for me than it answered, though... :-/

Respond to this message   
patsy
(Login patsy147)
The Frugalista Files

a lot of folks share housing, beds etc.

December 18 2011, 11:30 AM 

I know folks that do that sort of thing who work in the oil patch. They work opposite shifts so can share facilities. And lots of students do it as well.

Respond to this message   

Tracy
(Login ChefTraze)
The Frugalista Files

interesting article

December 18 2011, 11:06 AM 

I liked reading that, and I agree that some things should be give and take. I used to live near a neighbor who we shared everything, dvds, mowers, etc.. It was a good time and saved us both money. Also if I canned, I gave her some.. I needed babysitting, she would help me out. That kind of relationship I think is beneficial to all the families involved. I understand her concept and agree that more people should do some of it.
I dont think it would work for everyone for multiple reasons. I also dont think people should go without health insurance, if she were to get sick, she would be getting government assistance for hospital stay,etc. I think its an interesting read anyway.

Faith, Hope and Love, the greatest of these is LOVE.
Tracy

Respond to this message   

sheila
(Login SheilaPCT)
The Frugalista Files

I have heard of her before....

December 18 2011, 3:21 PM 

"Moneyless World - Free World - Priceless World" is another blog by someone who lives with out money, he is here in the US. It's very interesting, and so were some of the comments that follow. Amazing how somone choosing to live like this would make others so uncommfortable sometimes....

On thing that was not commented on is that time IS money... you just exchange it as Joe Domingo(? the guy from Get out of Debt, stay out of debt" book...) said... The lady in this article IS trading her time for money. I don't think she is just couch surfing, I think she is exchaging her skills.. maybe she pet/house sits for people or gardens/cooks/tutors or helps in some way.

One problem I have is sometimes these trades feel unfair in the end to one person. I seem to have that problem when I gt involved in car pools or child care swaps. I find myself keeping up my original agreement consistently while others change the rules along the way.

Respond to this message   
glenda
(Login glendaMO)
Moderators

I thought something similar as I read the article.

December 18 2011, 5:32 PM 

She must be one VERY giving person - because I've found it rare that I've ever felt like I've made a trade that was a fair shake.

Like Sheila, it always seems like I'm sacrificing to make up my end of the deal, while the other person is expecting more than I promised.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum