Click here for recipes!

Click here for the archives!

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Removing tea stains?

December 23 2011 at 1:41 PM
Maxine  (Premier Login MaxineS)
Forum Owner

Now I know why they call 'em tea towels!

In the last couple of years, DD and I have renewed our love affair with tea, and you can guess the result. A stout solution of chlorine bleach and water removes tea stains from hard surfaces, such as cups, counter tops, etc., but I am at a loss for removing stains from cotton. Bleach just doesn't do much! Any suggestions from the tea-drinkers in our midst? I made all new dish towels 6-8 months ago and they all look terrible!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Myra
(Login conchokitty)
The Frugalista Files

I don't know

December 23 2011, 2:27 PM 

but i bet anything that has already been washed and dried is permanently stained now. tea is a good dye!

I would like to know

Myra in West Texas

Respond to this message   
patsy
(Login patsy147)
The Frugalista Files

Re: Removing tea stains?

December 23 2011, 7:12 PM 

my Grandma used to use table salt. She would wet the towel and pour on salt and rub it into the fabric. And I'm pretty sure she also used beer of all things. I'm not sure it works on anything but pure cotton and you can't have put it into the dryer.

Respond to this message   
Tnetter
(Login TxNet)

Since we're talking stains, how about blood?

December 23 2011, 7:16 PM 

I have no advice on the tea stains if Biz and bleach fail.

Dh went hunting last weekend, got a deer, and got big blood stain on his jeans. He soaked them in Biz overnight, then washed, then dried in the dryer. I wish he had looked before putting them in the dryer. Any advice there?

------
The road to success is always under construction.

Respond to this message   
Sandy in NJ
(Login SandyinMI)
The Frugalista Files

they're probably set now

December 23 2011, 7:49 PM 

I use hydrogen peroxide on blood stains. I just put it on, let it bubble, rub, repeat over and over until it's gone or mostly gone and then wash. The last little bit usually comes out in the wash. The longer the stain has had to sit the more peroxide and rubbing it takes to get it out, so after drying in the dryer the stains may not come out.

Respond to this message   
Kim
(Login KimAB)
The Frugalista Files

I agree with peroxide

December 23 2011, 9:30 PM 

It is what my mom always used on my Dad's paramedic uniforms. I wouldn't bet on it if they've already been through the dryer, though.

Respond to this message   
Tnetter
(Login TxNet)

It would have taken a couple of gallons of peroxide

December 24 2011, 7:50 AM 

I think those are his new pants for dirty jobs.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum