Click here for recipes!

Click here for the archives!

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Appreciation

December 25 2011 at 6:22 PM
Karen CO  (Login wildmama)
The Frugalista Files

reading all the christmas rants. please, please appreciate all the good things in your lives! our families are far this year, our choice as dh (and me too) didn't want to fly to pennsylvania. was a bit mopey over the quietness and mellowness of the day, not near enough chaos for me.

then one of my best friends told me she was taking the kids to see her ex in jail an hour away today. the same friend lost her mom very young to MS.

don't stop appreciating what you have, accept the responsibility of our choices and decisions that make our lives/holidays not perfect, rail against the randomness when it isn't under our control.

but PLEASE appreciate the blessings you have.

karen

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
PBinNY
(Login momtoelibet)
The Frugalista Files

I agree...

December 25 2011, 6:45 PM 

I felt like such a schmuck after venting like I did. I have much to be grateful for including healthy children, an uplifting church service today, a warm home and food on my table.

Respond to this message   

KarenPA
(Login SingingSkies)
The Frugalista Files

I feel the same way...

December 25 2011, 6:52 PM 

I had a real rough few months..dealt with flooding, long term power outage, fil's passing, and am watching my cat die from a tumor.

Strangely, I found myself more at peace with the Chrsitmas process than ever before, and I savored every moment. I realized today the reason I feel that way is because I truely feel blessed. Through all of this, I have learned what is important in life. My stress level is as low as it's been in years.

Respond to this message   

KarenPA
(Login SingingSkies)
The Frugalista Files

I feel the same way...

December 25 2011, 6:54 PM 

I had a real rough few months..dealt with flooding, long term power outage, fil's passing, and am watching my cat die from a tumor.

Strangely, I found myself more at peace with the Chrsitmas process than ever before, and I savored every moment. I realized today the reason I feel that way is because I truely feel blessed. Through all of this, I have learned what is important in life. My stress level is as low as it's been in years.

Respond to this message   

2catsmom
(Login 2catsmom)
The Frugalista Files

You can vent and show appreciation,

December 25 2011, 8:18 PM 

You can vent about somethings and show appreciation about other things. Nothing wrong with that. PB, do not feel bad about your vent. You also showed appreciation for other things. A nice Christmas church service, a full belly, wonderful children... The same goes for you too Karen.

2catsmom

Respond to this message   

(Premier Login MaxineS)
Forum Owner

Thank you, Karen and Angel

December 25 2011, 9:00 PM 

Christmas really is a tough time for me, with a lot of angst and anxiety. But, I've never failed to appreciate my family, or the religious aspects of the holiday--it's the secular stuff that gets to me. Once I get to Christmas morning, everything is A-OK. I had a wonderful day with my family and 3 friends, and got to know DS's girlfriend's mother.

Respond to this message   
Tnetter
(Login TxNet)

You're right.

December 25 2011, 9:40 PM 

And I am appreciative of many things, even about Christmas. Dh & I were talking today about how Christmas has changed since we were kids. Stores pushing Christmas decorations in September, black Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, etc., the huge amount of decorating, parties, gift giving, and travel that we do now have just made it more stressful.

I am grateful and appreciative that we have relatively good health, a roof over our heads, and food to eat. I'm thankful that we have the freedom to celebrate Christmas, or Hanukkah, Kwanza, Ramadan, and any other holiday we choose.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

Respond to this message   
Myra
(Login conchokitty)
The Frugalista Files

yes and yes

December 26 2011, 7:07 AM 

to appreciate and vent! LOL

We do need to get it out sometimes, in safe places. It helps to deal with the bad stuff in our lives when we have friends to encourage us.

And oh yes we do need to remember to be thankful for what we have. To not become bitter. I think the main thing would be with family, to not let others think we have no appreciation of what we do have. What a gift to give our children! To teach them to be glad of what they have and not focus so much on what they don't have.

I read about families losing loved ones in fire or gun accidents on Christmas Day. how horrid that would be. It makes me stop and think to put it mildly.

We all do have problems, that we can fix or not, and have to deal with that sometimes bring us down, but we all also have some good things to remember I hope!

My mom tends to focus on the negative, and she has so much! in the end it seems to us she is so unhappy and we all think if she remembered to give thanks daily for what she does have it would help so much.

Myra in West Texas

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Appreciation
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum