Click here for recipes!

Click here for the archives!

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

I've been thinking about Maxine's house cleaning Christmas present

December 26 2011 at 5:40 PM
Tnetter  (Login TxNet)

While I would like to have someone come in and totally clean my house, what I think I'd like even better is to have a professional show me how to clean quickly and efficiently. When I clean the bathroom, I swear it takes me an hour just to clean the shower. That soap scum on the tile gets me where it hurts and then I'm worthless for the rest of the bathroom, much less the rest of the house. There has got to be an easier way.

What would you like someone to do for you, but that you would be able to do if someone taught you how?

I wonder if we could share our techniques for doing things and help each other out.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Maxine
(Premier Login MaxineS)
Forum Owner

Let's share techniques!

December 26 2011, 6:22 PM 

I have to tell you, this is the first cleaning person I've ever had that actually CLEANS. The rest want to dust and vacuum and wipe down the countertops and floors and clean the bathrooms. Penny even does baseboards!!

The best way I have ever cleaned a shower (and this includes rentals) is to use Ka-Boom. I spray the area, leave it for a few minutes, and then I wipe it down. I repeat this process until it is entirely clean. Usually it takes two passes; I cleaned one in 3 passes that I actually thought I would have to replace.

Some general tips:
(1) You will probably have to use a toothbrush around the edges if you have glass doors.
(2) Leaving the product to do its work, rather than wiping down immediately, works by far the best.
(3) If the floor of the tub or shower is that pebbly texture, I've had the best luck by plugging the drain, running just enough water into it to cover the bottom, and adding a lot of liquid cleaner (about a cup of Spic-n-Span) and LETTING IT SOAK for up to half an hour or so. When you let out the water, go over the bottom with a cloth and it should come clean.
(4) Rinse and wipe dry tub surfaces.

Rome wasn't built in a day. If you don't feel like cleaning the rest of the bathroom after this, wait a day to do the rest.

If you have a jetted bathtub and there is pink scummy stuff in the jets, fill the tub up to the jets with hot water. Add about a quart of chlorine bleach. Turn on the jets and let them run for 15-20 minutes. Drain the water, scrub the jets inside and around them with a toothbrush, then rinse the tub and wipe dry. Now you know why I will never own another jetted bathtub.

Now...you all know I don't like to clean. I do know how. happy.gif (that's the reason I don't like to do it).

Respond to this message   
Maxine
(Premier Login MaxineS)
Forum Owner

Please start a new thread for each item you want help with

December 26 2011, 6:40 PM 

I will archive everything!

Respond to this message   
Tnetter
(Login TxNet)

I've used Kaboom before and it seemed to leave a film

December 26 2011, 9:24 PM 

But it works great on my shower curtain so I'll give it another chance.

I'll give some thought to things I've always wanted to know how to do and post them, but it may be next weekend. I'm having computer issues and will be without mine for awhile. I may be able to sneak in on dh's from time to time, or wait until he is home next weekend.

Which reminds me, there are a LOT of things about computers I'd like to know how to do. I just don't know if I could understand the instructions. wink.gif

------
The road to success is always under construction.

Respond to this message   
Maxine
(Premier Login MaxineS)
Forum Owner

I always rinse Ka-Boom and wipe it dry (nt)

December 26 2011, 9:35 PM 

nt

Respond to this message   
LisaCNC
(Login Straitlover)
The Frugalista Files

Once you get it clean, wax it

December 27 2011, 9:53 AM 

I've read that, and I plan to do it this weekend. Use car wax, and do everything except the floor.

If you have shower doors, I read that lemon oil furniture polish gets the soap scum off.

Respond to this message   
Carolyn in TX
(Login darlindolls)
The Frugalista Files

Foaming bubbles

December 27 2011, 5:39 PM 

I have never heard of Ka-Boom but I use foaming bubbles like you described how you use Ka-Boom with the same results.

Respond to this message   
Carolyn in TX
(Login darlindolls)
The Frugalista Files

Maid service

December 27 2011, 8:29 AM 

I broke down and bought a groupon for a maid service. This was suppose to be 5 hours of cleaning but the maid said it was for up to 5 hours of cleaning so she spent 1.5 hours cleaning my house. I returned the rest of the vouchers.

I then hired a house cleaner that I paid by the hour. He spent 4 hours cleaning 3 bath rooms, vacuuming, and mopping floors. He did not touch the kitchen, make beds or dust. My dh thought this was well worth the expense but I paid with my spending money. LOL.

I figured if we just spent 1 hour each week deep cleaning the house would be as clean as having a maid. We are suppose to clean from 2-3 on Tuesday. I figured if I did not schedule it, nothing would get done.

So far we have been busy every Tuesday, including this afternoon.

Respond to this message   
Maxine
(Premier Login MaxineS)
Forum Owner

Most of them are worthless, aren't they?

December 27 2011, 9:40 AM 

Maid services basically maintain. Until I met Penny, I've never actually had someone CLEAN for me.

Respond to this message   
PJ
(Login ruralgirl)
The Frugalista Files

Whats good for hard water stain?

December 27 2011, 7:50 AM 

There is a ring in the toilets at water level.

Respond to this message   
Sandy in NJ
(Login SandyinMI)
The Frugalista Files

I use white vinegar

December 27 2011, 8:07 AM 

In Michigan I got reddish stains from the waterline all the way down. I put about two cups of white vinegar in the toilet and a little more water if needed to make sure that the water covers the stain right at the water line. Let it stand overnight and the stains just dissolve and brush away very easily. I also used to do this right before we went away for more than a day or so, put the vinegar in and then brush it when we got home. Sometimes there would be a buildup at the bottom of the bowl and it would chip out in big flakes after soaking.

Respond to this message   
Maxine
(Premier Login MaxineS)
Forum Owner

Things that work

December 27 2011, 8:17 AM 

You need a special cleaner for this. I think what you are looking for is something acid-based. I've bought Zep Acidic Toilet Bowl Cleaner at Home Depot, and it works. LindaOH, who used to sell janitorial supplies and knows all this stuff, has used a product called Sno-Bowl, which I believe is a supermarket brand in her part of the country. (I've never seen it here). Sandy's use of vinegar may also work for you, because vinegar is acidic. It didn't work for me, but I didn't use as much as she did. If you've got a lot of vinegar, try this first.

As a last resort, buy a pumice. You can get this in most supermarkets, Wal-Mart, etc. The brand name is Pumie, or something like that--comes in a blue and white box the size of a medium tube of toothpaste. Just follow the directions--basically, make sure the porcelain is wet and rub the stain with the pumice.

I hope LindaOH weighs in on this, because she knows all this stuff.

Respond to this message   
PJ
(Login ruralgirl)
The Frugalista Files

Thank you

December 27 2011, 8:46 AM 

I'll give the vinegar a try and look for the other when I'm in town. I need to inventory my supplies and brushes, nothing like having right tools for the job!

Respond to this message   
Christine
(Login stina716)
The Frugalista Files

CLR

December 27 2011, 9:00 AM 

there's a product called CLR - stands for Calcium, Limie, Rust. It comes as scouring powder or in liquid.

My sister had very thick hard water scale at the bottom of the bowl. she drained the bowl and poured a few cups of near boiling vinegar in and let it sit till just warm then scrubbed with a brush - three treatments and the bowl was clean. You have to be careful about this though - mom cracked a toilet bowl in the 70's bc the vinegar was too hot.

You could try barkeepers friend or bon ami - i've been pretty surprised by what all it's gotten off my ceramic crock pots and casserole dishes!

Respond to this message   
PaulaF in CO
(Login PaulaF-in-CO)
The Frugalista Files

Clean Shower every day in the shower

December 27 2011, 8:52 AM 

I take about an extra 1-2 minutes at the end of each shower and use a Mr. Clean Eraser on the walls. It pretty much shreds the soap scum right off. I do a different section each day. The floor I do some other time because it is textured and awful.

They make power scrubbers that I've toyed with getting. However, my shower is fiberglass so I'm afraid it would scratch the walls.

I throw my shower curtain in the washer with lots of vinegar. It comes out clean everytime. I'll never use shower doors again.

We didn't put a bathtub in our master bath because I didn't want to clean it. That was a good decision! LOL!

DH wants to do a cleaning session on Saturday mornings. That is music to my ears. We had our first session yesterday, even though it was Monday and it went well.

Respond to this message   
Christine
(Login stina716)
The Frugalista Files

ditto.

December 27 2011, 9:05 AM 

I had also gotten into a habit - at the end of the shower, take a cheapie loofah type scrubbie (the 6/$1 kind) and wipe down the shower wall. then spray with the after shower stuff. (or just watered down vinegar if you don't mind the scent.)

I need to get back in this habit. I didn't have to deep clean the tub walls for a year doing this just every other day.

When I do deep clean - i use the Magic Eraser.

I will also never have shower doors bc of the ease of tossing the fabric curtain in the washer. (it's 10 yo and i bleach it every 4-6 weeks.)

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum