Click here for recipes!

Click here for the archives!

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Let's all share a frugal tip

March 18 2012 at 8:12 AM
Kim  (Login KimAB)
The Frugalista Files

I got one from Gail's book- when you really don't have ANY extra money commit to save the savings. When you get a bill that is less money or you save on something that you would normally buy - you save the difference in a jar at home. When you get to $25 you use it to start your savings or emergency fund.

The idea is to begin saving and keep saving. That just really struck a cord with me.

And something from me- I am going to start playing the lottery every week. I am going to put $10/ week (or maybe per pay period for right now) into a separate savings account. When I am able to get income tax refunds, etc. again I will have them go automatically into that account, too. Then at some point in the future I am going to win the lottery. I am pretty excited about it happy.gif

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Tnetter
(Login TxNet)

Be careful on the lottery

March 18 2012, 8:35 AM 

Did you see the Primetime story about store clerks telling people they hadn't won and then the clerks claimed the money?

------
The road to success is always under construction.

Respond to this message   
Kim
(Login KimAB)
The Frugalista Files

Go back and read my post again. ;-) nt

March 18 2012, 9:30 AM 

Respond to this message   
CC
(Login sameoleCCTX)
The Frugalista Files

Go ahead and fill out for the class action suits...

March 18 2012, 9:29 AM 

if you qualify. I read this in some book(can't remember what book) and had never done them because I usually ended up with a piddly amount. The book made a point that you should receive all money that comes your way, even small amounts. So I started filling them out, even though I think they are more a benefit to lawyers than the anyone else. I have one to fill out now but can't find my receipts so will get the minimum amount.

Kim I do that, save all coupon money and savings on items I would have bought. The one that makes me the most is one of my rx has a discount card that saves me $35 every month. This money goes into an account that I use for items in my budget that aren't needs. Like internet(I pay by the year) and will be used when I have to buy a new computer. Last year I paid for internet, virus program, printer ink, and a new office chair.

I also add money when someone pays me back, like I paid for some flowers for a funeral last month and set aside the paid back amount. I do this because the money is already spent so I don't miss it. And I save change, I just cashed about a years worth of change and used it to fix an area in my yard and buy my veggie plants for the garden.

Respond to this message   

sheila
(Login SheilaPCT)
The Frugalista Files

just did this with the ATT Class action....

March 19 2012, 10:42 AM 

It said on the post card $2 or $2.90 but that is per month! They were claiming to give higher speeds on DSL than they were really providing. Don't know if this is just in CT or what... I filled it out and I am pretty sure I should be entitled to about 43 months worth....

Respond to this message   
CC
(Login sameoleCCTX)
The Frugalista Files

Don't shop just because of a coupon

March 18 2012, 2:40 PM 

I know this is an old one but I was reminded of it today when I deleted an e-mail from kohls that had a $10 off $10 in store coupon. One problem is I don't live close to a kohls plus there is nothing I really need. One reason I've been spending so much time de-cluttering, I already have lots of stuff.

Though the last time I had one of these I stopped as I was driving to somewhere else and picked up something under $10, which made it free. Kind of fun but really I don't need anything, even free stuff.

Respond to this message   
Stacey
(Login Stacey_K)
The Frugalista Files

I wonder how I get back on that list?

March 18 2012, 4:51 PM 

for those Kohl's $10 coupons? I used them to get $10 worth of Ghirardelli. happy.gif There's one only a mile from me.

Respond to this message   
CC
(Login sameoleCCTX)
The Frugalista Files

That sounds good!

March 19 2012, 3:15 AM 

I think the way is to never use the coupons.

I signed up for their e-mail because of buying a wedding gift, then the e-mails started coming. The last one I used was because they had remodeled the store. I must have received around 10 coupons before I used one, then they stopped coming. I'm sure I would have used these but the store is about 20 miles from me and I only go that way once a month or so. And never when I have a coupon, this last one was only good for 2 days.

Respond to this message   
PJ
(Login ruralgirl)
The Frugalista Files

My tip would be

March 19 2012, 8:18 AM 

Read all you can whether on internet or in books, it's interesting what others are doing and keeps you in the mindset!

Respond to this message   

sheila
(Login SheilaPCT)
The Frugalista Files

Do the big work once or twice a year

March 19 2012, 10:44 AM 

when you get your home insurance or car insurance bill- call around and compare prices. Do not just assume that because they had the best price a year or so ago, that they still do... the insurance market fluctuates a lot!

My other tip is "wait 30 days" from the time you decide you want or need something. Amazing how often you can find it free or cheaper....

Respond to this message   

Penny in FL
(Login Bugpugmom)
The Frugalista Files

For sewers

March 19 2012, 12:41 PM 

Buy too-big clothing and re-use the fabric. I recently bought a pair of PJ pants for 25 cents that were probably for a boy around age 10-12. They might have fit my youngest daughter (age 21) but I doubt she'd have loved the airplane and tank motif. I've cut them apart and have enough fabric to make a pair of long PJ pants and a pair of shorts for my grandson.

Respond to this message   

Penny in FL
(Login Bugpugmom)
The Frugalista Files

Maybe that should say sewists

March 19 2012, 12:52 PM 

"Sewers" looks like I'm talking about septic tanks.

Respond to this message   
Kim
(Login KimAB)
The Frugalista Files

That's my pet peeve!! :-P

March 19 2012, 4:32 PM 

I prefer seamstress.... happy.gif Though that is a little formal for what it is that I do, but it is what I use instead of sewer.

Respond to this message   
Christine
(Login stina716)
The Frugalista Files

ROFL! "For those who sew" nt

March 20 2012, 5:30 AM 

nt

Respond to this message   

Tracy
(Login ChefTraze)
The Frugalista Files

birthdays

March 19 2012, 7:55 PM 

if you celebrate birthdays, I suggest host the cake and (pizza,hot dogs, hamburgers, whatever) in your backyard or house prior to going to the movies, rollerskating, iceskating, etc. You then only have to pay admission and maybe drinks for kids. I have never paid for food at one of the establishments because I had the pizza before and it tasted horrible. Why pay $10 a kid to feed them food they won't like? That and make your own cake, it is easy ( i am sure most on here do anyway).

We are planning my DDs sweet 16 this year, we were talking over the weekend about all the parties she has had Tea parties, skating, just backyard games, etc. None cost much. I always made the cake and she would help, one year all we could afford was cupcakes (homemade) with knock off "Barbie" shoes on them (a 6 pack for $1.00) for all the girls and she loved it.
As we discussed her sweet 16 she has already called adult friends who are members of a place she can rent fairly cheap for a 'dance' and she wants us to make the food for it. And of course to make her cake! happy.gif Go figure. She will have the best (and most frugal for the different elements) party! We are even talking of taking my wedding dress and cutting it and redesigning it for her 'gown'. I am sure my ex won't mind, I know I would be honored if she will wear it!! happy.gif Oh and after the 'dance' she wants to have, she just wants her and her friends to go to the beach.

Faith, Hope and Love, the greatest of these is LOVE.
Tracy

Respond to this message   

(Premier Login MaxineS)
Forum Owner

You've given us some clear examples...

March 19 2012, 8:54 PM 

...of how imagination and resourcefulness will beat spending a bunch, every time!

Tracy, I can hardly believe your DD is going on 16! I think re-styling your wedding gown is a fab idea. Not all wedding gowns are heirloom quality, and, after a divorce, I can understand not wanting to wear that person's gown to get married in. However, there are all kinds of things you can do with it! Besides the dress you are contemplating, most wedding gowns will provide all of the materials you need (and more) to make christening gowns and first communion dresses. If you have any leftovers from your DD's new dress, save the scraps--when she does get married, you might be able to use them for shower or table decorations.

Right now I can't think of any new! improved! frugal tips, but I'll post one if something comes to me.....

This message has been edited by MaxineS on Mar 19, 2012 8:55 PM

Respond to this message   

Sharon
(Login Tesoru2)
The Frugalista Files

Wedding gowns

March 20 2012, 12:40 AM 

Many ladies use their wedding gowns to make pillows for their daughters wedding rings and also for baptismal gowns for the grandchildren.

Respond to this message   
CC
(Login sameoleCCTX)
The Frugalista Files

Make frugal habits and follow them

March 21 2012, 2:26 AM 

Try a new to you frugal tip that works for you and make it a habit. I do believe most of the frugal things I do that save money every day have become habits. But I could always add a new one, so every once in awhile I'll explore a new to me frugal way to get something done. If it works I don't usually even think about it, just continue to do it as a matter of habit.

Respond to this message   
Myra
(Login conchokitty)
The Frugalista Files

good thread! probably lots of little things we do

March 21 2012, 4:57 AM 

that we do not really think about so much

one of mine is freezing part of the food I just cooked. one reason is if I do not my son might just well eat every bit! LOL but also it is nice to know there's something in the freezer ready to heat and serve. so when I fix most meals I make sure there is plenty to set aside at least one serving if not two and they are put into containers often before we even start helping ourselves to the meal.

Myra in West Texas

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Let's all share a frugal tip
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum