Click here for recipes!

Click here for the archives!

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Way OT: But can i just say how heartbroken I am as a former Penn State student...

June 15 2012 at 6:14 AM

KarenPA  (Login SingingSkies)
The Frugalista Files

As Pennsylvania resident, a former PSU student, and a victim of an employer touching me inappropriately as a teen and a date rape...I just want to vomit. What sickens me almost as much as the entire situation is that rather than just pleading guilty, he is making his victims relive their hell publically.

I have a son planning on attending PSU, and while I know in my heart he will get a great education, I have trouble supporting an institution that looked the other way.

I'll stop now, because I could ramble all day. It's all just soooo sad.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I live my life in celebration that I've got a life to live.

This message has been edited by SingingSkies on Jun 15, 2012 6:15 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Sandy in NJ
(Login SandyinMI)
The Frugalista Files

it makes me angry too

June 15 2012, 6:29 AM 

That he's making his victims relive everything all over again. My son is 9 and I can't stomach the testimony anymore so I'm not reading anything else about the trial until they get to a verdict. Sick.

Respond to this message   
Maxine
(Premier Login MaxineS)
Forum Owner

You and Sandy said it very well

June 15 2012, 9:15 AM 

I, too, am angry that he is making his victims relive the abuse, when you know he's just trying to save his a** by hoping they will break down. (( I also understand why you are taking this somewhat personally, Karen ))

Respond to this message   
Monica
(Login midwestgirl)
The Frugalista Files

The story that disturbed me the most

June 15 2012, 4:55 PM 

was the boy who told the guidance counselor at school and that person told him that there was so way the guy did that. That he was a great guy and good to kids. WHAT? This is a child's worst fear that an trusted adult will not believe them. The whole thing sickens me beyond belief. The men testifying are so brave. I hope they know in their heart they are not to blame and are doing a service to countless boys to rid this man from contact with children in the future.

Respond to this message   

KarenPA
(Login SingingSkies)
The Frugalista Files

They young men testifying not only prevented...

June 15 2012, 5:00 PM 

Sandusky from doing it again, but hopefully will give countless children the courage to speak out themselves in other situations. I also hope they aren't blaming themselves. Trust me, its easy to feel that way.

Respond to this message   
glenda
(Login glendaMO)
Moderators

Agreed

June 17 2012, 3:18 PM 

why make the victims relive their nightmares?

Just a couple months ago, dh and I received a phone call from a friend, to let us know he was making his previous abuse from a trusted public figure public knowledge - and the snowball started, he learned he was one of more than a dozen who had been abused by the same person. He is now reliving the nightmare daily, with the awareness that his coming forward years ago might have saved some of them their pain.

It takes an extreme amount of nerve to make the abuse public - and I can't imagine what kind of abuser revels in sitting in court, hearing accounts of the abuse repeated over and over, it must bring some sense of accomplishment or they'd plead guilty and be done with it in short order.

Like others, I've chosen to try to avoid the news but it's difficult. I'm sorry others, who are much closer to the situation can't get away from the disturbing news.

Respond to this message   
Christine
(Login stina716)
The Frugalista Files

It is impossible to avoid if you live in PA.

June 18 2012, 7:11 AM 

in rural-ish PA at least where the only other news is car accidents and house fires. coverage of the case or something related to it is 90% of the TV newscast and front page on the papers every day. One in 8 PA residents attended a Penn State Campus; and 1/2 of those I swear have a cement nittany lion in their front yard. Penn State Pride is HUGE here, even among those who didn't go there or didn't even go to college... so everyone takes it very personally.

Respond to this message   

KarenPA
(Login SingingSkies)
The Frugalista Files

Exactly...

June 18 2012, 9:30 AM 

You summed up rural PA! I don't think the cement nittany lions are as popular here, but PSU flags by the doors, etc is big.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum