Click here for recipes!

Click here for the archives!

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Iced tea recipes

July 5 2012 at 7:46 AM
BethannM  (Login BethannM)
Moderators

We've succeeded at great iced tea, so thought I'd share.

Sweet Tea

2 quarts water in 4 quart sauce pan
7 tea bags (Aldi tea bags are $1.98 for 100 bags, and it turns out great)
gallon jug with 1 quart water and ice in bottom
1 1/3 cups sugar

Bring the two quarts water to a full boil. Shut off the burner and put the tea bags in the water. Steep for five minutes. (Use a timer.) I use a slotted spoon to shove the bags down on occasion during the five minutes. Measure the sugar into the pitcher with ice water in the bottom. Mix well. At exactly five minutes, remove the tea bags and pour the hot tea into the ice cold water in the pitcher. Add more cold water and/or ice to fill to two quarts. Refrigerate. Serve over ice!

Iced Peppermint Tea ('cause I don't like unsweetened regular tea!)

I'm not a huge water-drinker, and I really like to chew gum. But gum is a no-no on the Whole30. So, I make peppermint iced tea! Here's how:
4 bags meijer organics peppermint tea (or whatever brand you like)
about a quart of water in a two quart sauce pan
two quart pitcher, 1/4 full of ice and cold water

Bring the water in the sauce pan to a boil. Add the tea bags, turn off the burner, and put a lid on the pan. Let steep for 10 full minutes. I use a timer. Remove the tea bags. Pour the hot tea into the ice water in the bottom of your pitcher. Add more cold water to make 2 quarts. Refrigerate. Easy! I drink this all day long. It helps me stay properly hydrated without any artificial anything and without sugar, and helps to take care of all the extra garlic and onion breath from eating healthy!

Blessings,

Bethann
Matthew 6:33

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
LisaCNC
(Login Straitlover)
The Frugalista Files

I always put the sugar in the hot tea

July 5 2012, 11:05 AM 

It dissolves it, and then I put in the cold water. I also put a pinch of baking soda in the hot tea. My mother always does, so I guess it's habit. happy.gif

That mint tea sounds good!

Respond to this message   
Maxine
(Premier Login MaxineS)
Forum Owner

It does indeed!

July 5 2012, 11:29 AM 

The mint sounds wonderful!

The husband in our first batch of company last week is from North Carolina, too. He also puts the sugar in the hot tea. Poor guy--the only way he got sweet tea here was to mix sugar into the cold tea. Although the Southern folks here might disagree, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference, unless the sugar didn't dissolve. I had a friend from Alabama who insisted on making her tea in a specific pot.

Respond to this message   
LisaCNC
(Login Straitlover)
The Frugalista Files

My mother has a specific pot!

July 5 2012, 11:45 AM 

It's an enameled pot. The enamel's almost worn off; don't know what in the world we will do when it goes, LOL. Guess I better start looking ofr a replacement. happy.gif

Respond to this message   

Penny in FL
(Login Bugpugmom)
The Frugalista Files

I'm with you, Lisa

July 5 2012, 12:02 PM 

I dissolve the sugar in the hot tea first, then add the cold water.

I'm not a huge fan of mint so I don't care for it in my iced tea, but I grow mint for my family, they love it.

Respond to this message   

sheila
(Login SheilaPCT)
The Frugalista Files

I'm making 2 quarts of "regualr" ice tea and

July 5 2012, 7:13 PM 

have got it down to 1/3 cup sugar for that. I use 6 tea bags! And I love this stuff, just need to get some more cheap Aldi tea bags in the decaff kind so I can drink it later in the afternoon.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum