Click here for recipes!

Click here for the archives!

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

FS July day 22, sunday

July 22 2012 at 3:25 AM

sheila  (Login SheilaPCT)
The Frugalista Files

well as of 12:01 this morning my oldest is 17! Wow, how the years have flown by!!! We went out to dinner last night and gave him his gifts. Not frugal!!!

I'm heading out on my vacation today- it's a working vacation to finsh up the estate of my boyfriends dad.... but hopefully we end up with a few beach days at the end. Again, not frugal! I have to find lots of ways to cut $ corners when I get home, to make it thru the rest fo the month!!! Her's hoping I come home to good news aobut that job. She had said she would let me know at the end of this month....

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Carol
(Login CTMOMto4)
The Frugalista Files

Have a great trip!

July 22 2012, 4:38 AM 

Enjoy the break from routine, Sheila! Keeping my fingers crossed that the job situation pans out. Up early, everyone else is still asleep, even the cats! Looks to be another beautiful weather day, yesterday was perfect: cool, sunny, dry. I got 3 loads of wash out, dried immediately in the sun. I'm still watching my volunteer in the compost bin, it may be a sugar pumpkin, may be Kuri squash. Time will tell.

Have a wonderful trip!

Carol

Respond to this message   
mj
(Login mom24dgs)
The Frugalista Files

trying to find decent shorts for my 13yo dd

July 22 2012, 6:49 AM 

Tried without luck yesterday to find shorts /crop pants for my 13yo dd. It is so hard!
Fall stuff already out so very few items left and what is left looks like well stuff i wouldn't want any ones daughter to wear. I can't spend money on shorts that are already so ripped up with little chains or a bunch of beads all over! Not to mention so short short.
And she is too tall for girls 7-16 clothes so have to go into junior sizes.
Anyone know a store with just regular denim shorts?

Respond to this message   
Carol
(Login CTMOMto4)
The Frugalista Files

Got too short jeans on hand?

July 22 2012, 9:26 AM 

Can you transform these into appropriate length shorts or cropped pants?

Respond to this message   
mj
(Login mom24dgs)
The Frugalista Files

DD did this today!

July 30 2012, 6:43 PM 

DD went thru the bag we have waiting to go to Salvation Army and pulled out a pair of jeans. Using the sewing machine at my moms she turned them into shorts today!
I am so happy that she really got a lot out of her six week sewing class at school.
My mom says dd knows the sewing machine better than my mom!

Respond to this message   
Sandy in NJ
(Login SandyinMI)
The Frugalista Files

good for her!

July 30 2012, 8:17 PM 

Both thrifty and handy with a sewing machine. I'd be proud too!

Respond to this message   

Sharon
(Login Tesoru2)
The Frugalista Files

Great

July 31 2012, 12:26 AM 

...a gal after my heart. Not many youngsters are sewing these days. Not around here, anyhow.

Respond to this message   
PaulaF in CO
(Login PaulaF-in-CO)
The Frugalista Files

I have the same problem with Barbie clothes! LOL!

July 31 2012, 9:41 PM 

Seriously! Every outfit I see for Barbie in the stores reminds me of something a prostitute would wear. I can't even begin to imagine shopping for a 13 yo. I still have 8 years. Hopefully, styles will swing to a more classic look by then.

Oh, and my Barbie problem has been resolved. There are several sellers in China selling Barbie clothes direct on ebay. I have purchased some beautiful gowns, so thankfully Barbie is dressed decently and tastefully as she should be. Ironically, she is naked most of the time. LOL!

Respond to this message   

(Login BethannM)
Moderators

I am SO PROUD of my 23 yr old daughter for making her own!

August 1 2012, 6:18 AM 

My daughter--the one with the two kids and the on-again-off-again husband--has expensive taste. She was in need of shorts but knew that she just really could not afford them. She had a couple of pairs of Silver brand jeans that still fit her well, but the holes they were bought with had become just huge. So she read some tutorials and made store-bought-looking cut offs with them. She cut them just so and then sewed a line of stitching around the bottom and frayed the edges up to the stitching. They look like she bought them, kid you not. I am so proud of her for this. She is being taken to a country concert by a friend on Saturday and wanted a new shirt, so she is making one from materials we had on hand, too. It's turning out REALLY CUTE.

I just could not be more proud of her right now. She's getting it! Finally! YAY!

Blessings,

Bethann
Matthew 6:33

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - FS July day 22, sunday
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum