Click here for recipes!

Click here for the archives!

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Tote bag tutorial

August 2 2012 at 11:51 AM
Maxine  (Premier Login MaxineS)
Forum Owner

Frugal Queen is on summer break and being productive, LOL. She's been obsessed with making quilts from old clothes, and now she has made a tote bag with a holey tablecloth. Here is a link to her site.http://frugalincornwall.blogspot.com/ There is a link within the blog that you can follow for the tote bag directions. For those of us planning to make Christmas gifts, this would be a good project...especially for teacher gifts. Quick and easy.

This message has been edited by MaxineS on Aug 2, 2012 11:52 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Kim
(Login KimAB)
The Frugalista Files

Polly...

August 2 2012, 12:38 PM 

What is the council? Council housing? Council tip (how many kinds of garbage dump do you have??) I read Gordon Ramsey's book and I've been wondering!

Respond to this message   
Polly
(Login Pollyuk)
The Frugalista Files

Kim

August 2 2012, 2:15 PM 

The council is the local authority

Council housing is housing owned by the council for rent.

The council tip - now this is really an expression that GR will have used. Back in the day, the bin lorry will have just taken everything to the "council tip" Now things are rather more sophisticated and we all have multiple bins for segregating our stuff for recycling. The "tip" that the public can use, is now drive through and incredibly organised - they also have a shop where stuff can be donated for resale - I think the proceeds go to local charities

Respond to this message   
Kim
(Login KimAB)
The Frugalista Files

Okay

August 2 2012, 4:59 PM 

Explain "local authority". Please, I mean! I didn't mean to sound bossy! Is it run by each city- as in 'city council'? What is the deal? Are they just there for the asking or do you have to go on a list and wait (and wait and wait)

Gordon Ramsey and his sister moved into a council flat when he was 16, I think.

We have subsized housing and I've always wondered if it was similar to that, but whatever it is I get the perception from TV that you have a lot more of it than we have.

The council tip is from Frugal in Cornwall. She was talking about her mom taking old fixtures to the council tip.

Respond to this message   
patsy
(Login patsy147)
The Frugalista Files

Kim, I think it's the same as city council here

August 2 2012, 6:46 PM 

elected officials etc. with a board that vets those that need gear to income housing. I think it depends on the area in Canada where you live as to the amount of this type of housing is available. Usually there's more of it than anyone really knows about as it's mixed into other neighbourhoods.

Polly, we would call a 'tip' ....the dump. And various dumps have segregated areas for recyling, construction material, metals, true trash, etc. etc.

Respond to this message   
Polly
(Login Pollyuk)
The Frugalista Files

I think Patsy is right

August 3 2012, 12:21 AM 

This might help

http://www.communities.gov.uk/localgovernment/

There used to be much more council housing up to the 1980s when lots of it was sold to tenants, although there has been ( I think) a recent increase in the amount of social housing available

As for the "tip" which also gets called "the dump" and has the official title of "recycling centre",it isn't the fun it used to be when we were kids. It used to be a bit of a free for all - the place to go to find "useful stuff" like pram wheels and bits of wood. Most are now contracted to private companies - as are most things

This message has been edited by Pollyuk on Aug 3, 2012 1:09 AM

Respond to this message   
Kim
(Login KimAB)
The Frugalista Files

I didn't mean to hijack your thread, Maxine!

August 3 2012, 6:19 AM 

Thank you, Polly, that is very interesting.

Respond to this message   
Maxine
(Premier Login MaxineS)
Forum Owner

No problem!

August 3 2012, 10:54 AM 

Sometimes the side topics are more interesting than the original!

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum